Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke down and bought a Tandem Feather Board, but I’m confused by the hardware. The manual sucks, but I guess it includes bolts for 1/4” wide t-slot which is probably for my router table fence and 3/4” wide miter bars for both my router table & table saw. There is also 5/8” miter bars, but I don’t have anything that size that I know of.

I’m not real happy about the bolts and ‘S’ knobs because they don’t screw on to each other. I tried to get one started by holding the bolt with pliers and screwing on the knob, but like screwing SAE onto Metric, it don’t fit.

Before I pull out my tap & die set, is there something I’m missing? I don’t get it.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, first I decided to check the thread size to see if it were Metric or SAE by screwing it into my Die set and found it was 1/4x20 SAE which was a good thing because I don’t have any metric stuff.

I then grabbed a 1/4x20 tap and tried to run it thru the knob, but it was stuck. After playing with it for a while it finally went through. It turned out that the threads were good, but the plastic had spilled into the hole during the molding process. I think just running a sharp ¼” bit in the hole might have cleared it because as soon as I broke through the plastic it worked fine.

So far I’m happy with it because it can be used as a double thick feather board which I wanted, but also could be separated into two thin feather boards for table and fence.

The only thing I don’t like is there are small screws that attach the pieces together to make it double thick. I can live with that, but I just have to take extra steps to not lose the screws and it does take a little extra time to assemble.

So since I have more feather boards, I will probably just leave it double thick and not worry about losing screws.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..... No issues at all with them, although, I not crazy about the convoluted track it runs on. I would have preferred the things be square with straight slots, similar to the Rockler. ...
I'm still trying to figure that out and the only thing I can think of is to fit it into a smaller box. :shifty:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.