Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,.....new guy here.
I've done some construction carpentry, and some simple furniture pieces as well....definately a hobby though, when I have the time.

I currently have drawn up a specifically sized piece for my office...to house a receiver and turntable and LP's. This is inspired by mid century Danish design. I have attached pics.

I would really love any thoughts/advice/insight on my plan of approach for this project.
The piece is 48" wide, 29" from floor to top....and 18" deep.

- I am "planning" on using 3/4 top grade Birch plywood for the sides and top. Then using 1/2" for the back, shelves and sliding door.
-Iron on edge banding for the edges

- Im thinking of using dowels for the top/side/bottom joints and the middle vertical support. Glue/inset finish nails for the dividers..etc.

I am no expert....but ply seems (to me) like a better choice than trying to do all this out of solid wood glue ups and such?

One area I am still trying to sort is the support system.
- The top and side weight is all transferred down to the bottom piece via the vertical supports (sides and middle vertical divider). So we have 3 "point loads" so to speak. A 48" span of 3/4 ply will sag under this load. No doubt. Records are not light.

- Any thoughts here? I thought of a smaller piece of 3/4" on the bottom...maybe cut down 4" smaller on all sides than the bottom...then glue this to the bottom? Creating a 1 1/2" "bottom"....

Legs:
I may not do angles......I am stuck here....either ordering angle leg install hardware online..etc......OR just doing some short straight legs...etc?
Either way....any thoughts on mounting? Is metal hardware the only way? I certainly dont want to drill through the bottom of the unit and attach that way?
I thought of maybe using some 4"x4"x3/4" pieces...attach the leg to that...and then mount that to the bottom from underneath with 4 screws?

Any and all thoughts/insight or advice would be very,very appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
My first thought would be to put a skirt around the bottom to strengthen it, but that ruins the 3/4" lines of the cabinet. My next idea is to add a second layer of plywood under the cabinet, but set back from the front and ends so it can't be seen. This will strengthen the bottom and give you more thickness to mount the legs into.

Here is the link to Rockler Hardware catalog. They have clinch plates for straight legs. I did a search for angled plates, but can't locate any. Maybe they took them off the market. I think angled legs would give out under all the weight, anyway, so I would suggest straight legs.

http://www.rockler.com/clinch-nut-plates

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!
Yes.....I agree....the only option my inexperienced mind can come up with is what you said as well.
Add a smaller piece underneath for support.

Thx!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts