Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving a table saw fence by very small amounts can be hit and miss.

With a dial indicator at the right location on the fence, I found it is easy to tap the fence and move it by 0.001 inch at a time.

Locate the probe of dial indicator over the fence rail so that dial indicator does not change when the fence is tightened - see red circle in photo below.

A couple of times I have found this fine adjustment helpful:
1. Cutting UHMW runners to fit nicely in the miter slot for floats
2. Cutting mortise and tenon joints on table saw, to get a good fit.

For all other work I just use the measuring tape built into the fence rail. The table saw cut usually gets run over the jointer anyway.

Video Demonstration:

·
That Guy
379 Posts
My tools all have more than .001" wobble in the bearings and bushings LOL but if you need accuracy this would help. I noticed Incra sells some fences that have a similar fine adjustment built in but I can't imagine building anything that needs to be more accurate than 1/32nd.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
...be more accurate than 1/32nd. ...

true. but when you do a set up for 5-13/32
- and it cuts at 5-12/32,
moving the fence 1/32 is still necessary....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll be using the idea of using dial indicator to make small adjustments. I may not need 0.001" tolerance but I can see it working for my needs. Good tip to measure near the front clamp.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,301 Posts
Also probably good for making small adjustments to a dado cut without fiddling around all day with very thin shims that may or may not get chewed up by arbor threads..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts