Woodworking Talk banner

Micro Adjuster for Router Table Fence

14K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  durdyolman 
#1 ·
I was going through a shop project list that I made awhile back and on my list I had a homemade Micro Adjuster for a router table fence. Only problem is that I can’t remember what it looked like or where I saw it. I thought I saw it on YouTube but I can’t find. All I can find is expensive store bought ones which I don’t want.

Anybody have plans for one?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, it took me a few minutes to get the concept but that’s pretty cool. I was looking for something that has a knob to turn for the fine adjustment. I think that instead of gluing the top threaded rod, extend it out the back so that it can turn to make the adjustment instead of hopping along the threads.Just have to figure out how to keep it in place on top while turning.:smile:

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Is this the type of mechanism you are looking to build?

Pat Warner article in FWW.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/workshop/article/micro-adjustable-router-fence.aspx

Pat Warner's site.

http://www.patwarner.com/routerfence.html
I haven't seen either one of those, but the 1st is more like what I'm looking for.

If I remember correctly it works with any existing fence and just provideds a precise screw movement instead of over shooting the mark by trying to push the fence into place.

Actually now that I see how it works from the links you have I should be able to come up with something on my own. But thanks again at least now I have a good idea. :smile:

Discussion starter · #10 · (Edited)
I saw the Rockler one, but did not mention since you said you wanted to purchase. I think Rockler intend you use one of these each side, and the price is for one.
Thanks Dave, I've been thinking about it and I'm pretty sure I can make one now that I know exactly what it looks like. I could probably do that with a small cheap 'C' clamp from Harbor Freight. Just drill and tap a hole in it for a wing screw and I got one. :smile:

Discussion starter · #12 ·
I think you can make one. If you are only looking to push the fence, then consider a connector nut used to join two sections of threaded rod together. About 1in long, easy to clamp under the "C" clamp and save the time of drill and tapping.

If you make a U shaped box for behind the fence, you can have the threaded rod go through the bottom of the "U" and then drill a small hole for a cotter pin with washer behind. Lock nut on the other side and now you have a design which can pull as well as push. If you are not picturing this, it is the same idea as how the handles attach to a Black and Decker Workmate.
Thanks I think using the connector nut sounds even better because it could be glued or fastened to a piece of wood and then clamped to the table.
I think the one I was originally looking for was made out of wood and also used threaded rod, but I don’t remember the details. It may have actually used the connector nut as you mentioned. I know the base was long and clamped from the back, I guess anything from the sides would work equally well.

I think only one is needed because router doesn’t necessarily need to be parallel with the table. so one end of the fence could be fixed and adjusted on the other end.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
I've surfed this thread and seen some goods and bads. Tomorrow I plan to design and build a small, accurate, cheap,
2-way "micro-adjuster". Stay tuned.
Jimmy
Looking forward to it! I guess I’ll hold off a while to see what you come up with. :smile:

Reactions: durdyolman
Discussion starter · #24 ·
Well I can see the mark but I want to fine tune it in because I sometimes hit it a little too hard and jump the mark and then have to bang it back again. It’s so much nicer to just dial it in especially when you have to move the fence multiple times. It’s not worth it for me to spend $23 on but to make it myself for a buck then I like it. :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.