Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys........long time looker, but rarely post. Decided to post a few pictures of a bar top from chainsaw milled mesquite wood. The length is 78", width 28", and thickness is 2". The horns in the center were cut out with a rotozip and them filled with west epoxy died black. It is for a deer lease cabin in south Texas for a family friend. Please comment/critque....(pretty much a beginner here so be easy!)

Attachments

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
I use a lot of epoxy but never dyed it.
Can you explain what/how you did that?

Also, a nice bar top. Never see mesquite around these parts, not even in the BBQ. (we use hickory bark).

·
Wood Butcher
45 Posts
Looks great. I might actually try inlays now. I don't have the patience and time to get the perfect fit required for conventional inlays to look good.

·
Registered
909 Posts
That looks great! Was it much trouble working with the mesquite? I was under the impression it was used for barbeque because it was too hard to do much else with.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
That's beautiful. Weld it to the floor so nobody can take it home. My best advice is to do another. That should sell for big money. I was going to say that it would sell for big bucks but a little too 'punny.'

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
Did you really use a chain saw to resaw the logs?
Any tricks you learned and would like to share? I have a five foot log I was going to burn but you gave me second thoughts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Working with mesquite isn't really that difficult
The wood usually has cracks and voids that can be
filled with epoxy. This is probably the "hardest"
part about working with mesquite. A good thing
about it is that it doesn't shrink much and when
it does, it shrinks uniformally in all directions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unclefester.....I have a chainsaw mill that I
use to mill all my mesquite. For me it's easier
to mill the logs in the field as I don't have
the heavy equipment to load and unload these
heavy logs.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Really like that table!
If I ever get tired of turning i have several folks around here that would buy something like that in less than a heartbeat.

Mesquite is my favorite wood to use. Thankfully I have lots of friends around that let me "harvest" whenever they knock one down, and pretty much do all my milling with a chainsaw too ('cept by hand).
Have you tried Huisache yet?? Kind of hard to find a big enough tree, but the wood is really attractive--has a nice orangish hue to it and takes finish well--a bit harder than mesquite though.
Dave H

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cuerodoc.....I'm right down the road from
you in Victoria. I'm fortunate too in the respect
that I have a good friend who lets me harvest
Trees when I need some wood. Haven't tried
the dreaded "weestache" yet...but I think I know
where I can get some big ones(Schroeder area)

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
Sangre
Thanks. I'll look to find someone in my area with a mill and drag the log to them.
Any problems with running mesquite through a planer?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts