Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to start some base cabinets. Go to my supplier and ask for some melamine plywood. Do you mean plywood with liner, she says.

Just when I thought I knew everything, a question I cant answer. She is no help either, she just knows it is liner not melamine.

Looks like what I would call melamine, so I bought it.

Tried Google, it failed me.

So what is the difference?? Is there a difference?

Expiring minds need to know. JIm

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Cabinet liner is plywood with a sheet of white "formica type" laminate, far superior IMHO to melamine which particle board with a baked on "formica like" finish.
It comes laminated on 1 or 2 sides.
If it accidentally gets wet, the melamine will soak up water and swell to twice it's thickness pretty quick, ruining cabinets.
It also sags more if exposed to high humidity.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Melamine is a chemically applied low pressure coating. It feels like HPL (high pressure laminate), like a Formica type sheet, but is very thin. It cannot be taken off intact. It is commonly applied to an industrial particle board, but can be available in other substrates.

Cabinet liner is an HPL usually in 1/40" thick sheet. It can be sold as just a sheet, or available already laminated to different substrates. It is more durable than a Melamine coating.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More durable, superior, better sounds good to me!!

This is plywood, not a flake or particle board.
Thanks JIm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts