Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Isn't it some kind of rule if you are making pens for troops they can only be slimlines because of the size retsraints of the uniforms???

So if you are having a contest I do not think it is fair to limit the kit if you are really after a talent contest. Alot of times you are limited to the kit size as to what you can do with a blank. Just some thoughts.
Imhave heard of that before, and the kit is hard to determine but needs to be the same for everyone for easier judging,, if your a fountain pen expert i want u to turn a cigar pen for example, so there needs to be an average kit, or each person needs to turn 3 different style kits, but then its hard to judge for the winner,, i will have to do some thinking... Thanls for the input,,

·
Registered
396 Posts
One thing to consider, if it will be a certain kit is not everyone turns that kit. For most people the first time you turn certain kit it is nothing more than a test run. A lot of things can go wrong and sometimes it can take a bit to get it figured out. So it may not be a showcase of their true ability. Also since a person may not turn that kit, they might have to purchase bushings, drill bits, etc. Also with having to purchase new stuff it adds to the time to make pen waiting in an order being shipped. Not to mention the added cost. What if the contest picks 3 pens and person does not turn any of those kits? That could be a fair amount just to be able to enter the contest.
Personally I think three pens is a bit much. One pen should be sufficient to display their ability.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
preacherman said:
One thing to consider, if it will be a certain kit is not everyone turns that kit. For most people the first time you turn certain kit it is nothing more than a test run. A lot of things can go wrong and sometimes it can take a bit to get it figured out. So it may not be a showcase of their true ability. Also since a person may not turn that kit, they might have to purchase bushings, drill bits, etc. Also with having to purchase new stuff it adds to the time to make pen waiting in an order being shipped. Not to mention the added cost. What if the contest picks 3 pens and person does not turn any of those kits? That could be a fair amount just to be able to enter the contest.
Personally I think three pens is a bit much. One pen should be sufficient to display their ability.
Yes that is a good point also..

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Seperate categories depending on kits & medium - say slimline, cigar, and natural or acrylic in each category - perhaps 4 winners - 1 in each category. Might allow for more participants.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Alchymist said:
Seperate categories depending on kits & medium - say slimline, cigar, and natural or acrylic in each category - perhaps 4 winners - 1 in each category. Might allow for more participants.
I only have one set to give away...

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
You have a gift that you want to give to some member..

The gift is nice. I don't think this is a life changing event or even going to be remembered a year from now. So don't make this a World Series.

I think you should first find out how many people would put their name in the hat. If you get 10 make up some easy rules. If you get 100, then you may have to get complicated.

If you get 2, flip a coin.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Alan Sweet said:
The gift is nice. I don't think this is a life changing event or even going to be remembered a year from now. So don't make this a World Series.

I think you should first find out how many people would put their name in the hat. If you get 10 make up some easy rules. If you get 100, then you may have to get complicated.

Are u going to participate??

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts

this could very well be a life changing experience for a new turner
he or she could be young or old and inexperienced and this could change their world
i also remember the first giveaway dema did and thats been quite a while back

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
robert421960 said:
this could very well be a life changing experience for a new turner
he or she could be young or old and inexperienced and this could change their world
i also remember the first giveaway dema did and thats been quite a while back
Thanks Robert. Its been exactly a year ago , i believe it was 12 full size carbide cutter shafts...

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
I turn pens. (On occasion.)

and I sell a few now and then.

I would like to enter, but I don't feel I need any blanks right now. I am happy with my tools. So, since I would like the things you list, there might be someone who it would benefit better.

In answer to your question, probably not.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Alchymist said:
Doesn't have to be 4 winners, just a number of categories; a winner (runner up) in each category, and a grand prize awarded to one of the category winners.
Ok. But how do we chose a winner from 4 runner ups? Member vote and i pick the runner ups?

·
Registered
996 Posts
RusDemka said:
Ok. But how do we chose a winner from 4 runner ups? Member vote and i pick the runner ups?
The way I thought up what he ment was to have the different pen categories and pick 1 winner from each. So you have say 4 finalists.

Then take the pictures from those 4 members pens, and randomly number them. Have a handful of non participating turners grade them, and who ever scores the highest wins.

It dosent sound like a perfect contest to me though. I mean I don't turn pens so maybe I'm wrong, but I would imagine certain types of pens would be harder to turn then others.

But this way, everyone is included and it applies to a larger audience.

Some categories I feel they could be graded on would be,
Pen kit/ wood matchability
Wood type difficulty ( a spalted burl will be harder to finish then a straight grain ash)
Finishing process

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
BigJoe16 said:
The way I thought up what he ment was to have the different pen categories and pick 1 winner from each. So you have say 4 finalists.

Then take the pictures from those 4 members pens, and randomly number them. Have a handful of non participating turners grade them, and who ever scores the highest wins.

It dosent sound like a perfect contest to me though. I mean I don't turn pens so maybe I'm wrong, but I would imagine certain types of pens would be harder to turn then others.

But this way, everyone is included and it applies to a larger audience.

Some categories I feel they could be graded on would be,
Pen kit/ wood matchability
Wood type difficulty ( a spalted burl will be harder to finish then a straight grain ash)
Finishing process
I see what your saying now :)..

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
G'day Dema,

I've been a bit quiet for a while - I like this idea. Many good ideas been floated.

Turn a pen to enter sounds good, find out who is intersted.

I would consider and a nominal entry fee that would cover postage for the prize. If 30 people entered and all paid $1 that would prob about cover postage. If you decided on $3 you may be able to use any extra funds to provide cutters to go with the shafts - Just an idea

I like the idea of voting for say the top 10. Everyone can vote and maybe a panel of anonymous judges that would count for 5 votes each. Photos are anonymous and no one is allowed to give hints as to what is their pen. By voting for top 10 even if someone were to vote theirs as number 1 it would balance out overall to give an accurate impression of the top 10

I could go into a little more detail. If you like it and want more detail I'll do so. Plenty of ideas there I dont expect this one to be 'the one'

regards

Dave

·
Registered
122 Posts
Contest ???

So, what happened? It's been over 2 weeks since the last post.

I would say that I am about as "new" to woodturning as you can get. I have never turned on a wood lathe in my life. I currently do not own a lathe. My first lathe will be delivered in about 10 days.

I would like to participate in your contest. I really doubt that I have a chance but the prizes that you mentioned sure would help a new guy starting out.

Very generous on your part to offer this.
Dick

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Rodbuster said:
So, what happened? It's been over 2 weeks since the last post.

I would say that I am about as "new" to woodturning as you can get. I have never turned on a wood lathe in my life. I currently do not own a lathe. My first lathe will be delivered in about 10 days.

I would like to participate in your contest. I really doubt that I have a chance but the prizes that you mentioned sure would help a new guy starting out.

Very generous on your part to offer this.
Dick
Welcome to the vortex of wood turning :). the contest is coming up. With my Mexico vacation and reorganizing my shop, i havnt had time to prepare anything. But im hoping to get it started byte end of next week.. U should have your lathe by then .

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have a lathe and some experience spindle turning, but I've never made pens. This is timely for me, as I'm currently in the process of collecting info and contemplating buying the required mandrels and such. I just ordered a DVD from Craft Supplies USA on pen making and I'm excited to get started. I'd be willing to throw in my hat though I'm not sure how long it'll be before I'm ready to compete.

We would need judging criteria - and unfortunately pictures aren't always adequate to judge workmanship details. Not sure how to address that.

And thanks for even thinking about something like this.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts