Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A draw feels too easy. No effort on the folks who throw their hat into the draw.

The Capt Eddie competition seemed to have a good participation.

The benefit of a competition is that we all get to see some pictures of whatever folks have to make for an entry. We all love seeing pictures of projects.

The "con" of a competition is the judging and the criteria. Some will agree, some will not agree. Reminds me of the emotion about the Baileigh competition results.

You could do another raffle. If I recall the last raffle you did had good participation.

I would go for either a raffle or competition.

Dave, you are right this will not be a throw in the hat name and draw. I want to make it fun but also make the person challenge themselves to get this set. So a competition is a good idea and something im leaning towards, and you are right there are cons on the rules and guidelines and picking the winner. A raffle is also a good idea but will need approval from the Mods, the approval is needed because they want to know were the funds are going to make sure all is fair, not sure I want to go that route but i will consider it..

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
i kinda like the idea of have new pen turners have a competition
new being someone that has turned less than 5 or 2 pens
letting someone like your wife judge them since you are the one giving them away
thats my opinion anyway:yes::yes:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Here's a half-baked idea for you ... loosely based on a "chain letter".

Dema sends the boxful of stuff to participant #1, who makes one of the tools (meaning, turns the handle and assembles it -- and signs the finished item.)

He/she puts everything in a box and sends it to participant #2, who makes a second tool.

He/she puts everything in a box and sends it to participant #3, who makes the third tool.

He/she puts everything in a box and sends it to participant #4, who has to add a pen kit and make one of the pen blanks into a pen.

Everything in a box, send it along, another pen made, send it along, repeat till the end of the line ...

The last person puts it all in a box and sends it back to Dema.

At this point the pix can be taken and posted, and a winner selected by popular vote or Dema can pick somebody from outside the group to decide (e.g. mom-to-be).

The winner gets the tools.

The finished pens go to "Pens for Troops" or some other organization with good community goals.

Each participant has to be willing to put in a certain amount of money -- the cost of shipping the package along to the next person in the chain, and most participants have to add the cost of a pen kit of their choice.

I don't think it's complicated, but it does mean the whole operation will take quite a long time to complete (a few days for shipping and another few days to do the work for each person in the chain.)

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here's a half-baked idea for you ... loosely based on a "chain letter".

Dema sends the boxful of stuff to participant #1, who makes one of the tools (meaning, turns the handle and assembles it -- and signs the finished item.)

He/she puts everything in a box and sends it to participant #2, who makes a second tool.

He/she puts everything in a box and sends it to participant #3, who makes the third tool.

He/she puts everything in a box and sends it to participant #4, who has to add a pen kit and make one of the pen blanks into a pen.

Everything in a box, send it along, another pen made, send it along, repeat till the end of the line ...

The last person puts it all in a box and sends it back to Dema.

At this point the pix can be taken and posted, and a winner selected by popular vote or Dema can pick somebody from outside the group to decide (e.g. mom-to-be).

The winner gets the tools.

The finished pens go to "Pens for Troops" or some other organization with good community goals.

Each participant has to be willing to put in a certain amount of money -- the cost of shipping the package along to the next person in the chain, and most participants have to add the cost of a pen kit of their choice.

I don't think it's complicated, but it does mean the whole operation will take quite a long time to complete (a few days for shipping and another few days to do the work for each person in the chain.)
Duncan, I gotta say you must have put a lot of thought into this :thumbsup: lol.. I like the idea and it gets everyone involved, but I think that would take forever to complete, I love the idea of donating the pens to a worthy cause though, maybe instead of sending pix of the pen, I will collect all pens, take professional photos of them and post them with random numbers and have everyone vote, then after the winner is selected I send all the pens to Pens for Troops for example…

Im getting a lot of ideas here, and believe me, this will be involved giveaway, everyone will have to put some kind of time or shipping costs into it.. I have a feeling im going to grab a piece of every idea and make a nice event..

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Well, I do see advantages of drawing..

But there should be some reasonable qualification. For example,

1. They already turn.
2. They have done pens.
3. They should show some output from the drawing items. Maybe 2-3 pens in 1-2 days/weeks.
4. Ah, entry fee. Let's say they have to contribute a comparable pen kit or 2. (Need a bit of guidance here 7mm-8mm?) Or maybe a blank or 2.

Now people that will get it will have to put a little skin in game.

Alan

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Feel free to use as much or little of the idea as you wish :thumbsup:

I thought of Pens for Troops because my turning club is doing that as part of our demonstration routine at the Topsfield Fair this year, and I talked with the local organizer of PfT yesterday (he works at the local Woodcraft store.)

I'm sure there are many worthy causes.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
OK, I like the pens for service idea..

Rather than pen kits as a qualifier. At least 2-3 pens, for Pens for Military as part of requirement.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Alan Sweet said:
But there should be some reasonable qualification. For example,

1. They already turn.
2. They have done pens.
3. They should show some output from the drawing items. Maybe 2-3 pens in 1-2 days/weeks.
4. Ah, entry fee. Let's say they have to contribute a comparable pen kit or 2. (Need a bit of guidance here 7mm-8mm?) Or maybe a blank or 2.

Now people that will get it will have to put a little skin in game.

Alan
These are all valid points...

·
Registered
396 Posts
One reason I suggested a competition is that it causes you to try new things and push your skills to compete with others. It will be very difficult if not impossible to make everyone feel like it is fair. Many have been turning for years while others have not. I saw a post on another forum from a guy that claimed he had one been turning for four weeks. He made pens that others who have been turning for years were amazed by. My point is he was pushing his skills with every new pen, not just getting comfortable and repeating the process.

Either way its a great gesture to give away free stuff and in my eyes he who has, has the right to determine how he will give away. I look forward to whatever is in store.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
preacherman said:
One reason I suggested a competition is that it causes you to try new things and push your skills to compete with others. It will be very difficult if not impossible to make everyone feel like it is fair. Many have been turning for years while others have not. I saw a post on another forum from a guy that claimed he had one been turning for four weeks. He made pens that others who have been turning for years were amazed by. My point is he was pushing his skills with every new pen, not just getting comfortable and repeating the process.

Either way its a great gesture to give away free stuff and in my eyes he who has, has the right to determine how he will give away. I look forward to whatever is in store.
Great input

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
There are a lot of retired members,

I still think that whoever gets involved need provide something. You have made a very nice offer and it should go to some one you would like to feel will provide value with it.

I do think you should be thanked for doing this.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Alan Sweet said:
I still think that whoever gets involved need provide something. You have made a very nice offer and it should go to some one you would like to feel will provide value with it.

I do think you should be thanked for doing this.
I don't do this to get praised. I know these tools are expensive and i like to make friends :).. But don't worry this giveaway will require the person to show off their skills..

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Dema, here are some thoughts for you. Make it a contest. Set the style of kit(s) to be turned. Maybe do 3 pens, 1 solid wood, 1 segmented, 1 acrylic (except personally I don't like acrylics) and judge all 3 pens. Set criteria such as fit, finish, choice of wood to compliment kit and shape etc, awarding a point value for each criteria. Also factor in how long people have been turning. Newer turners get a few bonus points versus those who have been turning for a while. Get a non-participating turner/member to judge so it's impartial (could even be kept anonymous if you wanted, meaning who turned what not who the judge is). All pens should be collected and donated to pens for troops or any other worthy organization. Anyway, just some thoughts.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
sawdustfactory said:
Dema, here are some thoughts for you. Make it a contest. Set the style of kit(s) to be turned. Maybe do 3 pens, 1 solid wood, 1 segmented, 1 acrylic (except personally I don't like acrylics) and judge all 3 pens. Set criteria such as fit, finish, choice of wood to compliment kit and shape etc, awarding a point value for each criteria. Also factor in how long people have been turning. Newer turners get a few bonus points versus those who have been turning for a while. Get a non-participating turner/member to judge so it's impartial (could even be kept anonymous if you wanted, meaning who turned what not who the judge is). All pens should be collected and donated to pens for troops or any other worthy organization. Anyway, just some thoughts.
Great idea but i don't like to judge other peoples work too much and everyone else's work is always better.. But these are great ideas..

Is turning 3 pens for the contest too much??

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just a thought, why collect all the pens and give them to the same organization? sounds like a lot of shipping$$$. What about each person turns a pen, take 3 high quality pictures, sends them to the judge and the winner is determined? Then we can start a new thread where everyone tells who they gave the pen to.... with pics of course:) This way the turner can see who gets it and doesn't have to ship it far away.
But a few things I think should be considered in a contest: Everyone uses the same pen kit to keep it fair, no premade pen blanks (laser cut, store bought..), and high quality photos would be crucial to judging a good or bad finish.

these are just my thoughts, I really appreciate your generosity and it is totally your choice in the end!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Isn't it some kind of rule if you are making pens for troops they can only be slimlines because of the size retsraints of the uniforms???

So if you are having a contest I do not think it is fair to limit the kit if you are really after a talent contest. Alot of times you are limited to the kit size as to what you can do with a blank. Just some thoughts.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just a thought, why collect all the pens and give them to the same organization? sounds like a lot of shipping$$$. What about each person turns a pen, take 3 high quality pictures, sends them to the judge and the winner is determined? Then we can start a new thread where everyone tells who they gave the pen to.... with pics of course:) This way the turner can see who gets it and doesn't have to ship it far away.
But a few things I think should be considered in a contest: Everyone uses the same pen kit to keep it fair, no premade pen blanks (laser cut, store bought..), and high quality photos would be crucial to judging a good or bad finish.

these are just my thoughts, I really appreciate your generosity and it is totally your choice in the end!
I see your point on the shipping, all these ideas are great and i will need to sit down and write up a solid idea taking bits and pieces from all of these inputs.. :thumbsup:

Keep the ideas coming, i think we cant start the giveaway next week some time and will probably lastna couple weeks,, not sure yet, i want to give enough time for everyone to partisipate that wants to..

21 - 40 of 58 Posts