Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I've been thinking about another giveaway for this forum and maybe came up with one. Let me know what you all think and depending on the ideas and response i will either make it or not..

So my idea for a mega giveaway to include something for a pen turner. The items would be
-3 piece mini shaft set for the EWT carbide cutters. Round, square and square radius(cutters not included)
-3 piece walnut handle blanks. Predrilled since most don't have a bed extension.
-3 copper ferrels
-3 redwood burl bottle stopper blanks
-12 various pen blanks, includes wood, stabilized wood, casted wood and acrylic.

Im not sure of the rules to apply. But they would have to be interesting and fun. This may be the biggest giveaway yet.

So let me know what you guys think and ill decide whether to continue with it or not, i made a few mini sets to get some funds for a surface planer but im willing to do this anyway..

ForumRunner_20130821_193858.jpg

ForumRunner_20130821_193931.jpg

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Considering I am a semi-addicted pen turner,..

YES!!

Semi-addicted (You know you can quit any time you want. You just do not want to) :smile:

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dominick said:
Yea I know. Lol
Every time when I think I'll be getting one, something else comes up.
In due time.
I know what you mean. Been trying to get a surface planer for months now..

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
RusDemka said:
I know what you mean. Been trying to get a surface planer for months now..
You can never have enough.
My wife thinks I have enough though.
It never ends, it's a sickness. Kinda like hoarders.
But a good one.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Since your giving away a lot of pen stuff, how about a pen competition?
1. Set a time frame that the work must be completed during this time frame, beginning to finish.
2. Submit pics here on a thread and have members vote on which one is their favorite.

And I am in on something if it gets going ;)

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
preacherman said:
Since your giving away a lot of pen stuff, how about a pen competition?
1. Set a time frame that the work must be completed during this time frame, beginning to finish.
2. Submit pics here on a thread and have members vote on which one is their favorite.

And I am in on something if it gets going ;)
That's a good idea. I think capneddie did something like this on YouTube a little while back

·
Banned
139 Posts
Here's my idea.

Pen competition but made by a beginner. You will have to find someone with no experience and help them make a pen with all your own equipment and materials.

Personally I'd say do something easy like a slim line but that's not my call.

This way no skill level is better than someone else's and this new turner might enjoy it enough to get into turning. Also if you don't need the tools and they enjoy turning it'd be a real nice package for a new guy or gal.

Any thoughts?

·
7,222 Posts
A draw feels too easy. No effort on the folks who throw their hat into the draw.

The Capt Eddie competition seemed to have a good participation.

The benefit of a competition is that we all get to see some pictures of whatever folks have to make for an entry. We all love seeing pictures of projects.

The "con" of a competition is the judging and the criteria. Some will agree, some will not agree. Reminds me of the emotion about the Baileigh competition results.

You could do another raffle. If I recall the last raffle you did had good participation.

I would go for either a raffle or competition.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts