Woodworking Talk banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Why don't you use your drafting lead holder for 2mm lead? It works with the sharpener you must also have from drafting. They're also easier to "roll" than that contractor's lead holder. Ask me how I know ;)

Well, shoot, I’ll have investigate this turn of events! I do have and use some very sexy lead holders, but one thing I prefer is that this contractors lead holder has a pocket clip and in general stays put in my pockets better than my lead holders. …. And it’s very long probosci is helpful in tangled up situations.

· where's my table saw?
32,644 Posts
In spite of my numerous lead holders, the mechanical drafting type for round lead, I saw these on Amazon and thought the extended thin tip would be an advantage for getting around small details. They're also a relative bargain and come with 3 colored leads in addition to the black:

Reactions: Kerrys

· Registered
Custom Wood Craft
3 Posts
Lead holders > wood pencils > mechanical pencils. Mechanical pencils are not my favorite for marking. .05 lead breaks way too easily and .07 is too wide to be of use for anything but rough cuts. I use a lead holder with 2B lead. Yes it needs to be sharpened too, but the point is very fine and yet very sturdy and doesn't break easily. The sharpener for these leads works one handed if they're secured to a desk/bench/cabinet. I have a few from college drafting days, but they're still available and pretty inexpensive.

The lead retracts into the pencil body simply by pressing the button on the back and and tilting it up. When I'm going to mark a board, I hold it near where the intended line will be, press the button and the lead slide out to be exposed. I also have a very large lead holder I use to mark boards when I'm breaking them down.

Those are two sharpeners for the leads. The red one is new and is clamped to my cabinet with a clamp that comes with it. The black sharpener is probably 50-60 years old and maybe older. I move that around the shop depending upon where I'm working. It's pretty heavy as it's a cast metal with metal internals. I put some mole skin on the bottom so it doesn't move around. I use the little yellow plastic pencil sharpener for the larger lead. I also have an old Boston Champion pencil sharpener for wood pencils mounted in the shop. If I get lazy and not near a sharpener, the utility knife in my pocket works too ;)

View attachment 446556

View attachment 446557

View attachment 446558
Wow! Haven't seen lead holder sharpeners since Drafting Class in high school. Nice!

· Premium Member
6,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Back when in High School, we used regular wooden pencils and mechanical pencils. We sharpened the wood pencils with a sandpaper pad. It worked fine then even now too. Dont have a sandpaper pad but have lots of scrap sandpaper.

· Registered
Egg Spurt
3,619 Posts
Whaddoyouknow? All my mechanical pencils with the exception of the cheap throwaway plastic crap ones have managed to either just disappear or have grown legs and gone on vacation and promise to return..Still, I'm OK with the $10 models from office stores.. it's not that I'm super excited to go blow another 20 bucks for pencils that are probably just hiding in plain sight or something, but I have been known to blow money on far less useful things like booze when I'm already too drunk to stand up and making bets on things that will never come true.. I quit drinking..Maybe I'll quit losing pencils.. Nahhhh!

· Registered
Termite
9,437 Posts
I noticed when I worked at the furniture company a lot of my mechanical pencils ended up in other workers hands. That’s when I took all mine home..

· Registered
Egg Spurt
3,619 Posts
My drafting these days sucks..I used to be good at it, but years of working with solvents, other toxic crap, alcohol, drugs and my innate inability to remain young forever turned my beautiful free hand crisp straight lines to utter garbage. Now I'm forced to use a straight edge, get really comfortable, take a deep breath and try to follow the straight edge and I'm not very good at it anymore.. For that matter I have a hard time just holding my coffee cup without spilling half of the coffee.
You know..if someone had even suggested I'd be like my dad someday I'd think they were off their rocker.. I'm even starting to look like the old man. The end is nigh!
I did however find a good buy on disposable Pentel Twist erase XP® .05 mechanical pencils..
I know what you're thinking.. Oooooooo! Twist erase you say? Yes! I've moved up to DELUXE plastic crap these days. About $6 for 5 of them..Start saving your pennies!

· Thumb Nailer
2,921 Posts
I use the old school type literally wall mounted pencil sharpener mounted to one of my cabinets, and some cheap #2 pencils from a giant box of office junk I have been collecting apparently over the last 45 years or so...

I have mechanical pencils, the lead snaps off too easily for shop use...

41 - 53 of 53 Posts