Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a lot of veneered MDF in my furniture for carcasses, backs, door panels, drawer bases etc.

I have been hearing rumours for a while now that the use of MDF is banned or will be banned in the USA. Can anyone clarify this for me?

My extraction system is good and we always use masks when cutting MDF so I don't have any major worries but if such a ban were to make it's way across the Atlantic I want to be making alternative plans early.

·
Registered
66 Posts
MDF flies out of Home Centers here, so I would doubt that it's gonna be banned here in the USA. I have not heard of any health concerns with it either, however I would think that cutting that resin and sawdust and sending it to the air can't be good long term. But that's me. (Keep wearing the mask :thumbsup: .)

I don't work with MDF myself, but it is a very popular item when it comes to sheetgoods. If there was a health concern, they would find a differnt way to make MDF before they ban it.

No bans coming. Not that I've heard.

Tom

·
Registered
404 Posts
They might out law it for you Duncan. If they won't let you use a dado balde...I wouldn't be suprised :no: :no:

I still can't get over that.....:huh: :huh:

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
They can't ban MDF - 90% of the furniture manufacturers and furniture stores in America would go out of business.:laughing:

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Geoguy, would that be a bad thing? 90% of the furniture manufacturers and stores are churning out junk. Well, maybe not total junk, but certainly lower quality than I want to pay money for in exchange.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wood magazine had a whole article about that... hand made verses the throw away stuff they are making now. They have mastered making junk look like real wood. Then after you move it around a few times, it starts falling apart. The stuff is cheap, but it does not last. I will see if I can dig up that article and post it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't know if it's the same article, but last month's magazine (Wood) had an article about a woodworker from Quebec that designed and markets a set of 8 dining room chairs for $2300.00 each. He then designed a similar chair for craftsman in a Latin American country, that they could machine on equipment that was renovated for the project. They can market a similar appearing chair to his, any where in the world for $39.00. It was a project to create jobs for the town where the factory was sitting idle. Most of this is from my poor old feeble memory, the magazine is in Texas and I'm not.

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
Wood magazine had a whole article about that... hand made verses the throw away stuff they are making now. They have master making junk look like real wood. Then after you move it around a few times, it starts falling apart. The stuff is cheap, but it does not last. I will see if I can dig up that article and post it.
I've seen that article. It reminds me of how I got into woodworking. I was shopping for a specific piece of furniture and after visiting the furniture store, I concluded, "that's all crap!! - heck!, I can build a piece of crap!!" So started building my own,,,, (hopefully, not crap) and, like it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We consider MDF to be one of the four food groups, it is used for everything from moldings to complete bookcases. When a project is painted, I can't think of a stronger, more stable product. We have discovered when joints are done right, the strength beats cabinet plywood every time. For some examples check out my photo album "Shirley's Kitchen" Even the Ref door panels and painted cab doors & drawer fronts are MDF. All carvings are done on MDF. The finish is pigmented conversion varnish with glazing under a dull clear coat. I will try to post more furniture pictures that are primarily MDF. Been using it for over ten years for high end projects and hope EPA and Obama keep their fingers out of the MDF pie.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Jim Tank, I'll respectfully disagree. As someone that has moved nearly 40 times in 36 years, mdf and similar just don't cut it. Yes, they're fine if they are in a stable environment and don't have to move often. If you move a lot, though, they aren't worth the paper they're made from because they're too heavy and not actually strong enough to survive moving damage.

MDF has a place, but I don't think it should be in furniture, personally. Just my two cents as someone who's moved (and replaced cheap MDF stuff) far too often.

FrankP

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
MDF makes for an excellent substrate for veneering. It's stable and flat as all get out. Well fitted joints glued and clamped hold up surprisingly well. I haven't done isolated testing comparing it to plywood joints, but I will say that a good craftsman can produce good joinery with both plywood and MDF.

As for MDF, HDF, MDO and particleboard being used as a substrate for a non moisture application has a few benefits over the use of plywood. Being exceptionally flat and stable, and being hard and dense offer impact resistance not offered by plywood.

Yes, MDF and other composite dust is a PITA, and so is the dust from many hardwoods, some of which can be more toxic than MDF. I doubt seriously that the material will be banned any time soon. It has been around a while, just like particleboard, which hasn't received the axe (yet).

There has been the trend amongst some furniture and cabinetmakers that MDF incorporated into products are inferior. There won't be a resolution to the truths in that as the choices for substrates should be picked by those qualified to make that decision based on the intended use of the product.

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
There has been the trend amongst some furniture and cabinetmakers that MDF incorporated into products are inferior. There won't be a resolution to the truths in that as the choices for substrates should be picked by those qualified to make that decision based on the intended use of the product.

Wow!, Cabinetman, that's deep. You're not planning to run for political office are you?

Just kiddin' you, man!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts