Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ripped out a kitchen closet/ pantry and built a new one giving us more food storage. I about $250 into the project and built the drawers out of MDF. I haven't worked with MDF for years but having second thoughts about keeping the drawers. Also after talking to my bro, he said I'll have a hard time screwing the drawer guides on and making them hold, he suggest that I screw and glue them. I purchased full extension ball bearing drawer guides.

So, should I take the risk, glue and screw the drawer guides on the MDF drawers; will it work first off. OR invest another $50 in cabinet grade 1/2 ply and build new ones?

I have the MDF drawers all painted and done at this point, about 20 hours of labor including painting.

What should I do!! Please take a look at the link below of the pictures.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...7&authkey=!AN2CtHVs7Po72H0&ithint=folder,.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Trying to keep the cost down. Poplar is too expensive, I will be painting the drawers and I don't want to use 3/4 pine boards. I think pine would be more that plywood and I can't get it at Home Depot because they dot stock 1/2.

Any other materials you can suggest to build the drawers?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions.

I would go ahead and use the drawers you have. Don't glue the slides on. Just use coarse thread screws. Use a cordless drill and install the screws on the slow speed. You don't want to drive them fast which can over spin them when tight.

When the screw is almost tight, just bump the trigger to snug them up.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd use the drawers and see what happens. At this point they're already done, so it's essentially starting over from scratch. Which if the drawers don't work out you could do anyhow. Coarse threaded screws and go slow. No glue on the slides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts