Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe pocket holes are underated and NOT only for joining wood....just the other day one of my guys cut his thumb off and in a haste to get to the ER i had a flat.well i didn't have time to change the tire so i fixed it with a pocket hole, aired it up and was on our way.upon arrival at the hospital he was whisked away and soon returned with thumb in tact.....with a pocket hole! and i must say it is barely noticable so maybe some of you guys have had similar experiances with this fantastic gift to the woodworker,let's hear it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
putty? why a surgeon would scoff at such an accusation sir,it was filled with a plug from a like skinned cadaver and sanded to 400 grit...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think you guys are missing the tongue n' cheek post. it seems as the pocket hole is johneps' answer to any fastening situations and i was just raggin' on em'....no disrespect i just find it funny so i thought we could come up with OTHER uses for the jig.... such as today the sole came off my workboot so i fastened it back on with a_______

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
I think my pocket hole obsession is waining, however in another thread, someone has obviously developed a Domino passion.
In the meantime have greatly enjoyed the jokes.

Remember before pocket holes, I joined two pieces of wood with a batten along the join or used metal strips/brackets. Put a shelf in my glass house yesterday actually making the shelf from odd bits of old wardrobe joined edge to edge with PHs.

I could never aspire to your levels of sophistication by way of tools and techniques, but this forum has shown me the way to go and I have made a small start.

I don't have room for a table saw, so am thinking of mounting my hand circular saw on my work mate. The blade is fully guarded.

Or maybe I will look around for a small saw that doesn't take much room.
johnep

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I don't have room for a table saw, so am thinking of mounting my hand circular saw on my work mate. The blade is fully guarded.

Or maybe I will look around for a small saw that doesn't take much room. johnep

That's not an altogether far out option. Back in the last century, my first table saw was a circular saw mounted upside down in a piece of plywood. Then, when I needed a larger saw, I just cut a larger piece of plywood. And, no, I didn't mount it with pocket holes. The problem is you have no blade guard, splitter, or fence. But, if you get energetic, you could make your own "T" square fence with common materials.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hi Johnep

There are some really compact bench top table saws out there, and the prices are pretty reasonable. In Canada, Canadian tire carries a small mastercraft 10 inch bench top saw. There is probably something similar available in the UK. By the way, don't let the boys spoil your fun with pocket holes, I think they're just jealous.

Gerry

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
Giving saws some thought today, I really do not do much ripping as buy my timber preplaned from the yard. Perhaps what I want is a chop saw for cross cutting and mitering.

What is used most in your shop, the chop/miter saw or table saw?
johnep

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi John

I don't have chop saw so obviously the Table saw is in use all the time.

For crosscut, just to break a long board to approximate lengths, I use hand held Circular saw but for precision crosscut, I use the table saw with sliding table or sled.

Have a look in Screwfix (type "Table saw" on the search), they have a few cheap offers (well, cheap for UK of course...)

niki

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Giving saws some thought today, I really do not do much ripping as buy my timber preplaned from the yard. Perhaps what I want is a chop saw for cross cutting and mitering.
johnep

I did a search and to no avail could not for the life of me find a crosscut/pocket hole combo machine.:smile::smile::smile:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts