Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do just a little woodworking and I have recently made some basic picture frames with stained poplar (a wood that's cheap and readily available). They came out OK but I would like to make some frames that (a) really stand out and (b) maybe don't require staining (i.e. will take a clear finish), so that I can assemble them and clean up the corners before finishing, and (c) don't cost an arm and a leg. (I've had trouble with the stain producing dark lines at the corner seams as the stain soaks into the endgrain).

I saw a frame recently done by Ken in lacewood. That looks really great, especially since it only required a clear finish to look that way, but is lacewood readily available and how much does it cost? I would be making them to frame my photography that I sell so cost is a concern.

Can anyone else suggest any other wood types that would be a good choice for me to try. And I do live near Philadelphia and I know of a couple of local lumberyards that sell a variety of wood types.

Thanks
- Matt

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cocobola, Lychee, Walnut, Zebrawood, curly maple, anything spalted... pretty much anythign that won't twist and warp.

I've recycled wood from pallets, salvaged trim and even resawed some 6x6 douglas fir from an old porch that was demolished. You're limited only by your imagination. :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts