Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hopeful someone will be able to give guidance on the correct way to do my project. I am building some laundry room cabinets with the face frame and doors out of walnut. I'm doing a shaker style with full overlay. I am going to use 3/4 plywood for the cabinet boxes. But should I use walnut plywood or should I use maple or birch plywood of the box construction? Also what material should I use to build the brawler boxes? I have had some family members tell me that I am just wasting money using the more expensive walnut plywood. I don't mind spending the money, I just want to make sure I use the correct materials and not be foolish. Thanks for all the help and it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Smart and Cool
2,645 Posts
I'm a big fan of melamine for cabinet boxes, I did a Kitchen for a Customer many years ago out of walnut faces/doors, and melamine carcasses.

Some special considerations in the construction due to the particle board core of melamine, but the easy care surface is worth the extra effort IMO.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I much prefer plywood over melamine (or any particle board based material) for the cabinet boxes, mostly for strength. If the outsides of your cabinets will be visible, then use the walnut veneer to match your face frames, if that's important to you. I've used stained oak veneered plywood for bathroom & kitchen cabinets, because we like oak.

I think 3/4" thick ply for the cabinet boxes might be a little overkill; 1/2" or even 3/8" if available, would save you some $$ & be plenty strong for the application.

For drawer boxes, I've used maple, poplar, & plain general purpose pine/spruce/fir "white wood" from Home Depot. Plywood would work fine, but I prefer the look of solid wood on the exposed edges. 1/4" luan is OK for the drawer bottoms.

Let us know what you decide, & be sure to post pictures!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I would use birch plywood for the boxes. It won't be seen, right? Actually, prefinished birch isn't much more expensive that regular. Then all you have to finish is the face frame, doors and drawer fronts.

See...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
K9
I agree with MT. I would use birch for the boxes. Your cabinet will be almost too nice for a laundry room with the exterior in Walnut. The Birch will offer a clean contrasting interior.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. The interior won't be seen because all of the doors will be solid with no glass. A piece of 1/2 and 3/4 walnut unfinished was around $90 and the pre finished birch is about $45. So it is half the price but I don't mind spending the extra if needed. My plans are to eventually do my kitchen if I like the way the laundry room turns out after its all done. So I figured might as well use the same material that I am going to use on the next project so I know what to expect. I have noticed most major cabinet manufacturers use birch for boxes and drawers but just wanted see what others use. I like the cabinets MT!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
+1 MT. I also like prefinished birch ply for the boxes. For drawers, I like 1/2" baltic birch with a 1/4" prefinished birch ply for the drawer bottom.

On my shaker doors, I use 1/2" ply for the panel inside the 3/4" frame. I like the weight and feel of the thicker panel. On the door panel, I cut a rabbet around all 4 sides so it will fit into the rail/style grooves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.