Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Customer needs a piece matching existing dark stained Rubberwood furniture.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking Birch.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Is this another trick or "bait" question? :laughing: If it is...give it a go.:laughing: But, if it's a serious one, Birch could be a close match. Or, Beech or Maple might work. A variety of boards in any of those species can vary quite a bit.

And then the color and tone of the wood after it's finished will be your example. It depends how good you are with magic. I suggest you go to a hardwoods supplier, and sneak in a scraper in your pocket, and go through some bins.:yes: If you find one close put a dab of spit (you should have that with you all the time) on it for a looksee. Of course, when you actually finish it you shouldn't use spit.:no:

·
Registered
305 Posts
we bought a table without legs from the macy's outlet that was rubberwood. i found leg blanks online for less than 8.00 a piece. i used rustoleum kona stain and matched the dark table perfect. what is it that you are making?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this another trick or "bait" question? :laughing: If it is...give it a go.:laughing: But, if it's a serious one, Birch could be a close match. Or, Beech or Maple might work. A variety of boards in any of those species can vary quite a bit.

And then the color and tone of the wood after it's finished will be your example. It depends how good you are with magic. I suggest you go to a hardwoods supplier, and sneak in a scraper in your pocket, and go through some bins.:yes: If you find one close put a dab of spit (you should have that with you all the time) on it for a looksee. Of course, when you actually finish it you shouldn't use spit.:no:

Thx CM, no not a bait question. There is a lot of Rubberwood furniture in the market with darker than Walnut stain. Getting the color right is easy, it is difficult to copy the grain texture though, as the open grain is pretty unique, with random spaced spots almost looking like tiny worm holes. It looks kind of high-end.

For those not familiar, Rubberwood is related to Maple species, but used for Latex rather than Maple Syrup and once the trees are beyond productive sap life, they are harvested for the lumber. This being in Asia.

Probably time to kill the thread:

I told the customer that the most important thing is that he gets what he wants, but he should know if we use Walnut with a clear finish the price would go up about 20%, but the value would be double. We will be going with Walnut, the table top being 1 3/4, book matched from the same tree.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts