Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have some old teak veneered furniture that needs repair. The old finish is aged to a nice orange glow. As the new veneer is very blonde Should I put anything on the new venneer so it will match the older color well? If so, what?

thanks so much,
Sk8bug

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
What finish are you planning to use?

Garnet shellac as a sealer does a nice job of simulating age, but it won’t work if you’re planning an oil finish.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Potassium Dichromate will simulate natural aging when used on tannin rich species but is pretty toxic unless encapsulated.

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,660 Posts
Sk8 - welcome to the forum.
if you can post some photos of your project, it will help us help you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish Plank
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish Plank

Here’s the side of the table. You can see where the legs covered it is still very light and the aged veneer is orange tint. The binding is similar to the psa veneer color I have for reference.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I don’t want to seem like a wise ^$$, but in my shop, I’d call that a match! :)

The teak oil will darken the new teak more than it will darken the old.

·
Registered
27,544 Posts
View attachment 430749 View attachment 430749
Here’s the side of the table. You can see where the legs covered it is still very light and the aged veneer is orange tint. The binding is similar to the psa veneer color I have for reference.

Thanks,
I 'm not seeing the color orange. It looks more like Minwax Provincial to me. If you have some scraps of new wood you might practice on that before you use it on your project. If an oil stain doesn't do it for you you can supplement the color with a dye stain. Mohawk Ultra Penetrating Stain

1 - 12 of 12 Posts