Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for the upcoming holidays, I'm looking for a quality method of marking my projects. I have thought of using an engraver, but I just don't have a steady enough hand.

I was originally leaning towards an electric branding iron that I can "stamp" my projects with before I finish them. Most seem pretty pricey. I was looking for something that says "Handcrafted By INSERT NAME HERE". It should look nice, but not overly fancy. Rockler sells them for over $140, which I feel is way too much.

Can anyone recommend a good method of "branding" a project? Or maybe a good source to buy something that I can do it with?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I just tried a method that worked very well. I printed a mirror image of a logo from a laser printer onto standard paper. Place the paper print side down on the project. Wet it with lacquer thinner and rub the image with a blunt instrument and the laser toner will transfer to the wood. I later tried to scratch the transfer off with my fingernail but I couldn't get it to come off.

Of course, you could always print onto a clear label and just stick it on.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have one of the electric branding irons from Rockler. I actually recieved it as a gift last Christmas. It was something I always wanted but couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on it. After owning it a year, I wish I had bought it sooner! It may be expensive, but it's easy to use and I find it very gratifying! Go for it!!!

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
captainawesome said:
I have one of the electric branding irons from Rockler. I actually recieved it as a gift last Christmas. It was something I always wanted but couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on it. After owning it a year, I wish I had bought it sooner! It may be expensive, but it's easy to use and I find it very gratifying! Go for it!!!
I have looked Rocklers about 3-4 times, but can't bring myself to spend that much $$. If I could find one for less than $100 I'd probably get it.

Mark

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
Can't recall his name, but there was a member here that made them.
Maybe do a search on it. Or if I can find him, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Lee Valley sells electric "Handcrafted By" irons for $105. Use your own propane torch and get one for $65.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
I got mine from brandnew.net. I got the torch heated one, and after a minor issue (that may or may not been a figment of my imagination) they voluntarily sent me a replacement.

I'm really happy with it, but I have learned that the simpler the design the better. I got a large tree with hand crafted by Ryan ******, and if found I a bit difficult to get a uniform burn into the wood. If and when I get another, it will be a less detailed brand.

I would however recommend brandnew.net 100%.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ryan50hrl said:
If and when I get another, it will be a less detailed brand. I would however recommend brandnew.net 100%.
Well it seems there are a few that recommend them so I may look into their irons. I hadn't actually thought of designing anything, but I could add a saw or something simple to my name. I may have to brainstorm ideas...

Mark

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ryan50hrl said:
They have 5 pages of brand designs.... This is the one I got.... http://brandnew.net/estore/shopexd.asp?id=53 It looks great......when I can get it right. Works best on maple and closed grain woods.... Oak is a bit harder......
I like the design, but since I want an electric on, their prices are a bit much for me.

Mark

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I brand all of my wood carvings with my own, custom-made, branding iron. Maybe 100, so far.
1. 8" and 10" spikes have 3/4" diameter heads.
2. Chalk up a file and smooth that down, maybe 800 grit paper to finish.
3. Draw your pattern (backwards) on the nail head.
4. Carve that with a Dremel and cut-off disks. 1/16" deep is plenty.
5. I torch the head, but every different wood has it's own "smoke temp."
= = = =
Big deal = my brand is 'RV' (what else?). Was easy to make, carving steel is OK fun, might have cost me a whole $0.75 for the nail and the Dremel cutoff wheels.

Think about it. I can't register my brand because I'm not burning livestock.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
In preparation for the upcoming holidays, I'm looking for a quality method of marking my projects. I have thought of using an engraver, but I just don't have a steady enough hand.

I was originally leaning towards an electric branding iron that I can "stamp" my projects with before I finish them. Most seem pretty pricey. I was looking for something that says "Handcrafted By INSERT NAME HERE". It should look nice, but not overly fancy. Rockler sells them for over $140, which I feel is way too much.

Can anyone recommend a good method of "branding" a project? Or maybe a good source to buy something that I can do it with?

Thanks.
I just use an engraver. It may not be pretty, but it is effective and personal. I usually say who the project was made for and the date. Cannot do that with stick ons.

George

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Lee Valley sells electric "Handcrafted By" irons for $105. Use your own propane torch and get one for $65.
My daughter gave me one of the propane torch models last year at Christmas. I think there may be an advantage to these (besides being a little cheaper), no coils to burn out. It does take a little practice to get the heat level right.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I just use an engraver. It may not be pretty, but it is effective and personal. I usually say who the project was made for and the date. Cannot do that with stick ons.

George
That's what I use. A dremel works pretty good. I also use a flex shaft Foredom tool with a variable speed foot switch. Either a straight cutter or ball end will work. Each has its quirks for how it carves. But, I agree, for a custom piece, the signing looks more personal when it's custom too. It just takes a little practice.
d_oak_box_c.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an electric one from Lee Valley. I think I paid around 100.00. It seemed a bit high but I didn't find anything much cheaper. I got the electric because I didn't want to deal with using a torch around wood and sawdust. I always practice on a piece of similar wood before I "brand" the finished piece.

I wished there was a way to also burn in the date.....now I just write the it underneath the brand.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When starting out, I was making book cases and wall shelves. I used the router with a pointed bit to write a full message. We took a shelf down recently and on the back was routered in script,
"Merry Christmas
from (me)
1990".
There is no question of the event, date, for whom, and from on those pieces. Unfortunately, you need a large flat concealed surface. It does bring nice memories of where we were in our lives at that time.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
"Handcrafted By INSERT NAME HERE". It should look nice, but not overly fancy. Rockler sells them for over $140, which I feel is way too much.

In the latest Rockler flyer $90.
http://www.rockler.com/customized-electric-branding-iron-gift-set-mail-in-offer

I have one of the manual heat ones.

http://www.brandnew.net/estore/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=3&cat=Custom+Irons

It is customized with my signature.

My viewpoint is that if you're going to do a lot of branding at one time, get an electric one. For one or two brands or less a day get the manual one.

The propane torch will have other uses like your neighbor changing a hot water heater. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts