Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New here, and in the woodworking world. English is not my first language, but I will do my best.

I have just started buying basic stuff to get going...Set of chisels japanese saw, and so on. Latest purchase is a marking guage which I am having trouble with, and could use some advice on.

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/pro...arking-Gauge-Single-Cutter-Screw-Clamping.htm

My problem is that I can not get the steel cutter through the beam. The manual says to lightly tap it with a hammer. I have tried lightly, and also hard, but nothing happens. Further on it says that climatic factors, can make the wood shrink, so the steel cutter will not fit, and I should remove some of the slot with a file. I am afraid what will happen when the weather changes. It is very moist at the moment, and I am thinking that the slot will be too big when dry weather comes.

Should I hammer on or?...Any advice will be helpful.

Kind Regards-

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would try contacting the customer service where you bought it rather than risking breaking it by hitting it too hard. I don't understand the currency they use but it looks expensive.
Your English looks fine to me.:yes:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
First, I have to say that your written English grammar is better than most average Americans' who allegedly speak it as their primary language.

I might try placing the gauge in a small room with a dehumidifier running to see if it relaxes some of the tension in the cutter slot. I don't think I would hammer on it too much, as you certainly risk splitting the arm or possibly damaging the cutter. As you mentioned, widening the slot may work momentarily but become too loose when drier weather arrives.

·
7,222 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like the slot is intended to be a tight fit. The wood may have expanded due to your present wet climate.

Is the slot too narrow for the thickness of the blade?

You could try putting the blade in the freezer. This may not change the thickness much due to the thin blade.

You could also try sanding down the back of the blade rather than filing the slot.

As others said, I would be careful about how much force you apply. It is easy to break the beam.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so no more hammering. I do not have a dehumidifier, but placing it in the bedroom above a heater, might do the trick.

The marking guage is something like 26 usd, so by european standard, it is in the lower price range, but has a really nice finish to it. Just need to get it going.

Thank you for inputs, and I will post the result.

Kind Regards-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And working!...Had to make it work by tomorrow, when I will work on my dovetail skills. A ladies nail file did the job. Filed a little bit...tried to put the blade in, and kept on doing it until there was space enough for the the blade.

It makes perfect lines, and feels really good in my hand. Nice and easy to use.

Thanks for your help. I will stick around on this site, looking for tips and tricks, and asking for help when another tool does not behave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts