Woodworking Talk banner

Marketing Unusual Lumber

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Da Aardvark 
ETWW,

In the past year the number of clients requesting 'character' lumber has soared. Almost every custom job asks about live edge and some even want flitch cut lumber. Also a higher proportion of planks requested over boards. When I'm grade sawing and explain the face options many will opt for more character rather than the straighter, tamer, grain choices - especially in walnut. :thumbsup:

Photos of specialty pieces like George Nakashima built, butterfly dovetailed cracks, epoxied crevices, etc. all capitalize on the uniqueness of real wood. Most of my clients don't want something that looks like it came from a big box store, imported wood-looking furniture. :thumbdown:

Da Aardvark,

I should have thought of you when I was listing examples, your work is very unique and inspiring. :thumbsup: I started out as a woodworker looking for a way to salvage the trees that I ran across. I have morphed into a sawmiller who doesn't have very much time for woodworking most of the year. :sad:

I do get requests for character pieces and woodworking friends have sifted through my personal stock, looking for that special piece. I probably will stockpile more once I get a kiln built. :sweatdrop:

The great majority of what I mill are my clients' logs. I try to offer an assortment of skills to meet my clients' needs. Everything from sawing a near-veneer quality red oak log into trailer floor (ouch) to milling a storm downed walnut with a shattered trunk into something they could make into a family memory.

I applaud all who are out there displaying their work in shows, shops, articles and websites. The more exposure we can get, the more the public will learn to appreciate the uniqueness of natural wood products and the value of craftsmanship. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.