Woodworking Talk banner

Marketing Unusual Lumber

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Da Aardvark 
#1 ·
I've seen a lot of unusual lumber here and on other milling sites, too. Tim's post and the pics of the Pecan and Sassafrass stump lumber is a good example.

I guess I'm wondering where the market is for this kind of product. I see a lot of bookmatched boards and slabs pictured here but they are full of cracks, voids and inclusions. Character is one thing but as a woodworker, they would be essentially unusable to me.

Spalting color and zone lines, curly or burl figure, heck, even mineral staining can be used as accents but the bulk of what I build (furniture, mostly) requires clear stock.

I saw all my own wood with a manual bandmill and a lot of what I see pictured here would go on my burn pile. But, if there is actually a market for it, maybe I should re-think what I consider acceptable.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I build a lot of Period furniture so I guess the style dictates my lumber preference. I can definitely appreciate the uniqueness of live-edge and slab furniture but was primarily wondering about the marketability of the lumber. There is a LOT of it pictured here and on other sites. I was just wondering if much of it was being sold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.