Woodworking Talk banner

Marched pair of Demilunes!

3K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  frankp 
#1 ·
Howdy gang!

This is going to be a build thread of a matched pair of Demilune tables. I was very impressed with the work Sanchez has done with his table that he is currently building and I made the mistake of showing it to a couple family members, This has lead to me making a pair of them. to be given out as christmas gifts this year. good news is I should have plenty of time to get them finished.

With the work that Sanchez has done and after watching the episode of Rough Cut. and doing some additional research I have decided to build mine similar to both but different with some Thomas Seymour flare. I am in no way going to attempt to do an accurate reproduction of a Seymour piece. but I am going to attempt to use his influences.

My tables have mahogany tapered legs. will have mahogany crotch veneer fronts. and a fan pattern on the top that alternates from mahogany and cerejeria both of these will be crotches. I also am going to attempt some sand shading in the form of a federal style fan at the points of the larger fan on the top. I plan to add stringing to the legs, top. with banding bordering the crotch fields on the aprons. There will be no drawers in either table. instead. I may attempt to add an inlay urn or floral pattern in each apron section.

So far I have completed building the apron using the bricking method shown on rough cut which is a traditional way of building curved or serpentine apron fronts. tapering the legs. cutting and fitting the legs to the aprons. forming the panels that will make up the tops. and fitting the rear stretcher.

I would love to be able to post some pictures of my current progress. however. When I attempt to upload to my albums or to this thread I get the "There is a missing security token" message. I have sent the admins a message to see what the problem is. so hopefully soon this will be addressed and I will be able to upload some pics. I will attempt to upload them directly from my phone.

I do not want to take anything away from Sanchez build. I think he has done a truly fantastic job on his table. I do have a dilemma tho. Do I thank Sanchez for his inspiration or do I curse him for making his look that good that others what one too?

lol Thank you Sanchez. you my friend are an inspiration to us all.

See less See more
Reactions: sanchez
#2 · (Edited)
Wood Plywood Floor Flooring Table

This is the pattern. with a 32"diameter arc

Wood Flooring Floor Wood flooring Hardwood

here is the layout for the front legs. with a width of 2" and a center line, this line is very important.

Measuring instrument Tool Wood Protractor Ruler

That center line from the leg layout has to be at 60* for the proper look and balance. of the table

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plywood Wood flooring

once all the layouts are done its time to draw some curves. I used the pattern to get the same arc as the pattern - purdy simple!!

Wood Architecture Arch Plywood Stairs

I left the pieces a little thicker then 1 inch about 1/18 to 3/16 heavy.

Attachments

#3 ·
Ok bear with me. I am having editing issues. having to upload from the phone and add text via PC, after transferring the arcs to the apron board ( i used clear pine. I cut one piece out. then trued up the front edge to be square and match the arc of the pattern.

I then used that one as a pattern for the rest. and proceeded to cut all the rest of them. Since this project is both inspired by the past as well as for gifts I want to put as much of myself into this. So. I am doing absolutely as much as possible by hand and trying to spare the electrons. note the bow saw.

After they are all cut and stacked. you will see that 5 layers brings me just shy of 4" right where I wanted to be. in the 3.5 to 4" range.

#4 ·
Wood Table Hardwood Furniture Floor

Here i am lining up to make all the bricks join together. If you watched the rough cut show you seen a dfferent approach. I think this way is easier. Clamp 3 bricks over the center line with 2 on the bottom and 1 on the top. Transfer you center line up both sides then across the top. Thiscwill give you the correct angle to cut the ends of each brick. Simply trace and cut and repeat.

Wood Hardwood Laminate flooring Floor Flooring

Up the inside

Wood Floor Hardwood Wood flooring Plywood

And across the top

#5 ·
Wood Floor Plywood Tile Flooring

Next i joined 2 boards to make the top. I am using hard maple for the tops. Since each leg will be 1/2 inch proud of the apron and i want an additional 1/2 inch overhang for the top i cut the rough stock to be 34.5 inches long and made them 19.25" wide

Wood Wall Plywood Material property Hardwood

Left side

Wood Floor Plywood Table Wall

Right side

Wood Floor Wall Plywood Hardwood

Middle

Then i repeated this for the second top.

#6 ·
Furniture Table Wood Hardwood Plywood

Hereis a view of the joint lines in the bricks. Once they were all stacked glued and screwed i squared up the corners with a #4 smoother and my ole trusty 110

Table Chair Glass

Here you get a peak at the joinery. I used mortise and tenons for the apron on the back legs. Bridals for the front legs.

Table Furniture Workbench Wood Machine

And i just had to have some dovetails somewhere so i used them on the back stretcher.

#8 ·
Here are a couple pics of all the pieces put together in a dry fit.

Furniture Table Outdoor table Wood stain Chair

Table Wood Plywood Furniture Wood stain

Furniture Table Wood stain Wood Floor

Oh i forgot to mention the legs are 2 inches square at the top and taper down to 1 inch square at the feet.

#12 ·
Looks sweet, John! I guess I get to start this off!

I bid $1,500!

is that each? SOLD!!
You're doing a fantastic job so far! I can definitely see these tables "marching" with those beautiful legs. ;)

I'll be watching this for sure. I'm glad you got the picture issue figured out. Oh, I like that bow saw you have.

LMAO!! marching - it was supposed to say matched. I guess that is what happens when your tired, typing and have fat fingers and a skinny keyboard.

Thank you for noticing the bow saw. it was a fun little project to make.

#11 ·
You're doing a fantastic job so far! I can definitely see these tables "marching" with those beautiful legs. ;)

I'll be watching this for sure. I'm glad you got the picture issue figured out. Oh, I like that bow saw you have.

#20 ·
feet / floor - hell I cant even spell matched without it typing marched. lol!

John, your tables are incredibly nice! I cant wait to see those veneers.

Thanks for the shout-out! I am just a beginner doing what I can. I am glad somebody is getting something out of my build thread!
You are definitely more then a beginner. you my friend have some mad skills. And your more then welcome for the shout -out! I got to give credit where credit is due!

Reactions: sanchez
#24 ·
Thank you. Just make sure you leave enough meat on the pin that is closest to the end. Since the grain direction is running across the pin it can be weak. I went with the dovetail because it makes for a mechanical lock to keep the rear legs from spreading apart. That and i really like dovetails!

#26 ·
in a holding process, looking for the right veneer for the tops at the right price. that and we had a few other expenses that take priority over the woodworks. lawn mower starter, exterminator (dog got infested with fleas and they spread into the house like zombies in an asylum). new window.

#29 ·
Sorry it has been quite some time since my last post. I have been rather busy in the shop. Had some rocking chairs that i needed to make. An entertainment center. And a few other pieces.

However. I have also returned to the demilunes. Here is the a****

Longboard Wood Skateboard Wood stain Table

Mahogany crotch with birds eye trim

Here are a few pics of the top.

Floor Wood Flooring Tile Room

Turquoise Architecture Arch Hand fan Wood

Wood Architecture Hand fan Arch Wood stain

Wood Table Plywood Longboard Surfboard

This is mahogany crotch and eucalyptus burl for the large fan. The small sand shaded fan is curly maple. The boarder is birds eye maple. The green accent around the sand shaded fan is tinted birds eye.

Currently the edgebanding (birds eye) is clamped and drying, ill have more pics to update in a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.