Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a pile of wood from my father in law's remodel job. I believe that it is maple, but I'm not sure. This may sound elementary, but is there a way that I can tell if it is maple or pine? Most of it is pretty clear white wood, some of the ends are painted orange. These are left over from the cabinet maker and are roughly 12' 1x3's.

Thanks

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I was given a pile of wood from my father in law's remodel job. I believe that it is maple, but I'm not sure. This may sound elementary, but is there a way that I can tell if it is maple or pine? Most of it is pretty clear white wood, some of the ends are painted orange. These are left over from the cabinet maker and are roughly 12' 1x3's.

Thanks

Pictures?

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Dent, smell, and maple grain looks like syrup running down the side. You might have to use your imagination but you should be able to tell just from the look.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was pretty sure it was maple when I got it, but in a rush the other evening I started doubting myself. It doesn't dent, nor does it smell like pine. They syrup running down theory even fits too. I will try to get some pictures to confirm, but I'm pretty sure it's maple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.