Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on this off and on very soft in places and right next to it hard as a rock. was hard to sand because it would crumble and not take a finish ended up just using a 50/50 mix of DNA / varnish flood it let it dry sand it out then do it all over again C and C welcome

Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Alls' well that ends well , and that one certainly did :yes:

I know the feeling of having the edge of the work crumbling under the gouge like dry bread ,
and the joy of it turning like healthy wood after a good poly/solvent bath and a rest . Its magic huh ;)

Well done :thumbsup:

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep these photos turned out like crud the vase is not short like you see in the photo not sure why they look that way. Reason I posted I was to show the natural edge and how it varied so.

Jerry

·
Registered
201 Posts
Looks great, I have a bit over 750 bd ft of spalted maple. I find that once I get the shape I want on the bowl it is better to sand it on the lathe to almost final dimensions and then either use a mixture of 50/50 five minute epoxy brushed on (with the sanding sawdust still filling the depressions) let dry then sand the hell out of it to a finish product. If the maple is running toward pulp then I cover it in a mixture of 50/50 lacquer to lacquer thinner in a five gallon bucket with a hole to fit my hose on the shop vac; turn the vac on for about five minutes...I have been able to save some gorgeous pieces that way. ken

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yap Nothing like Spalted an Punkie Maple I love it an you did an outstanding Job on saving that piece :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Been there ... :laughing:

You did well, I'd love to see pix that show the figure more clearly. It reminds me very much of one I made last year from a piece of "burly stuff" -- I'm not sure if it's maple or box elder, there's a slight streak of pink in one place. They're in the same family anyway.

Carving Art

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the word of praise , it was a piece that came close to becoming firewood it was crumby and the fiinish was and still is marginal (my opinion ) It is Zinsser Shellac and was thinned never really got smooth although it did cover and get a nice gloss to it. Was learning curve.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Alls' well that ends well , and that one certainly did :yes:

I know the feeling of having the edge of the work crumbling under the gouge like dry bread ,
and the joy of it turning like healthy wood after a good poly/solvent bath and a rest . Its magic huh ;)

Well done :thumbsup:
Here is the slice of wet firewood I dropped on my foot .
The finish is the satin poly and thinners that I used to firm up the over spalted wood .
I have no idea what tree it came from . All the other stuff in the pile was pine

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.