Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on this off and on very soft in places and right next to it hard as a rock. was hard to sand because it would crumble and not take a finish ended up just using a 50/50 mix of DNA / varnish flood it let it dry sand it out then do it all over again C and C welcome

Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Alls' well that ends well , and that one certainly did :yes:

I know the feeling of having the edge of the work crumbling under the gouge like dry bread ,
and the joy of it turning like healthy wood after a good poly/solvent bath and a rest . Its magic huh ;)

Well done :thumbsup:

·
Registered
407 Posts
looks good! Try to take the pictures with a desk lamp or two instead of the flash, I think you'll be a lot happier

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep these photos turned out like crud the vase is not short like you see in the photo not sure why they look that way. Reason I posted I was to show the natural edge and how it varied so.

Jerry

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taller than it looks

much taller than it looks in the photo almost 7'' tall on the back side while the front edge is just shy of 3'', so it was fun to turn.

Jerry

·
Registered
201 Posts
Looks great, I have a bit over 750 bd ft of spalted maple. I find that once I get the shape I want on the bowl it is better to sand it on the lathe to almost final dimensions and then either use a mixture of 50/50 five minute epoxy brushed on (with the sanding sawdust still filling the depressions) let dry then sand the hell out of it to a finish product. If the maple is running toward pulp then I cover it in a mixture of 50/50 lacquer to lacquer thinner in a five gallon bucket with a hole to fit my hose on the shop vac; turn the vac on for about five minutes...I have been able to save some gorgeous pieces that way. ken

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yap Nothing like Spalted an Punkie Maple I love it an you did an outstanding Job on saving that piece :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Been there ... :laughing:

You did well, I'd love to see pix that show the figure more clearly. It reminds me very much of one I made last year from a piece of "burly stuff" -- I'm not sure if it's maple or box elder, there's a slight streak of pink in one place. They're in the same family anyway.

Carving Art

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the word of praise , it was a piece that came close to becoming firewood it was crumby and the fiinish was and still is marginal (my opinion ) It is Zinsser Shellac and was thinned never really got smooth although it did cover and get a nice gloss to it. Was learning curve.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Alls' well that ends well , and that one certainly did :yes:

I know the feeling of having the edge of the work crumbling under the gouge like dry bread ,
and the joy of it turning like healthy wood after a good poly/solvent bath and a rest . Its magic huh ;)

Well done :thumbsup:
Here is the slice of wet firewood I dropped on my foot .
The finish is the satin poly and thinners that I used to firm up the over spalted wood .
I have no idea what tree it came from . All the other stuff in the pile was pine

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts