Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have cam across a pretty large supply of maple pallets that I hate to get rid of. And was windering if anyone had any good ideas for uses of them. I was thinking cutting boards mallets and such, but I have got a bunch of them lol.

And before the pallet wood is not safe begins. These are good wood. I have worked and the shipping industry a long time. These are not chemically treated. They have been heat treated meaning they were put in a large oven and baked to kill any pests that could be living in them. They only come from Canada not some foriegn land without regulations and such.

So any ideas.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
You could make entire kitchen "Euro style".
Using individual boxes made with sheet goods, solid maple doors and edge-banding fall within pallet lengths.
Rip through nail holes if they are a problem.
Maybe one sheet of maple ply for toe-kicks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a great idea but I literally just finished a kitchen remodel complete wig banquette and dining table. And I don't want to go back down that road for a while. And yes the nail holes are the problem. I suppose inlays over them would work, but with that many inlays I hunk it would look kind of corny lol. I should of mentioned they are 45 in long.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Whether heat or chemical treated, I personally wouldn't use pallets for anything that needs to be food grade. You just don't know what they have come in contact with.

That said, if I had a bunch of maple I'd probably build a workbench.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I was thinking a workbench too since. I could use the edge grain and the nail holes wouldn't matter. I would like it to be a little longer than 45 in though but I will prob do that. A split top roubo maybe :).

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
I was thinking of making some into Adirondack chairs. I read

something a few months ago about modifying them to make a chair

but have come up with some other thoughts about it and decided I had

better completely disassemble and sand them down before building

them for somewhat obvious reasons. I know, simple project, but

thought it would be fun to try.

·
Registered
344 Posts
wood_chucker said:
So I have cam across a pretty large supply of maple pallets that I hate to get rid of. And was windering if anyone had any good ideas for uses of them. I was thinking cutting boards mallets and such, but I have got a bunch of them lol. And before the pallet wood is not safe begins. These are good wood. I have worked and the shipping industry a long time. These are not chemically treated. They have been heat treated meaning they were put in a large oven and baked to kill any pests that could be living in them. They only come from Canada not some foriegn land without regulations and such. So any ideas.
Round here we got a lot of walnut pallets

·
Banned
310 Posts
I recently posted pictures of several projects made from pallets, including a coffee table from a Maple pallet. To the OP, GO for it. The North American. pallet industry association ( yes they have one) boast that it will expand by 10% in the next 5 years (because of exports to Mexico). At present some 50% of all hard wood ( mainly Oak ) cut down in the U.S. Goes to the pallet industry. In Canada 6 Million board feet of timber is cut every year for the same purpose. I seldom get political but all wood loving people should be more upset about that than anything.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently posted pictures of several projects made from pallets, including a coffee table from a Maple pallet. To the OP, GO for it. The North American. pallet industry association ( yes they have one) boast that it will expand by 10% in the next 5 years (because of exports to Mexico). At present some 50% of all hard wood ( mainly Oak ) cut down in the U.S. Goes to the pallet industry. In Canada 6 Million board feet of timber is cut every year for the same purpose. I seldom get political but all wood loving people should be more upset about that than anything.
It is heart breaking honestly. A lot of the maple in these pallets is even spalted. We don't get a lot of oak onrs I snatch them up too.

·
Banned
310 Posts
I miss quoted, it is actually six billion board feet of timber cut in Canada, and approx 3.5 billion board feet of hardwood in the US

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
tonycan

Can u post those photos again or share a link? I would be interested in some projects using pallets. I have a lot of access to pallets as well and would love to be able to recycle them.

Thanks
Rob

·
Banned
310 Posts
w1pers said:
tonycan Can u post those photos again or share a link? I would be interested in some projects using pallets. I have a lot of access to pallets as well and would love to be able to recycle them. Thanks Rob
At the risk of getting trouble for posting these too many times, but I don't know any other way .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 117 Posts