Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am not sure if this is the right grouping for this post, sorry if its not.

I an about to start making a crib for my first baby. The plans I have call to use hard maple. But the maple is so expensive is there something out there that can give me the look of maple for less money?

I like working with the maple and have a bed and mirror frame made from maple. With the baby coming I am trying to save some money and don't want to spend a fortune on the crib. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks Kris

·
Registered
356 Posts
Birch is similar looking to maple and depending on what part of the country you're in, it could be a little less $. Poplar is about the lowest priced wood that looks kinda like maple.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It depends on the construction too. I have built 3 slat style cribs of different styles and woods. One of the factors to consider if you are using someone elses design is the slat deflection. There are federal standards on how far they may deflect. If you change your wood you will need to consider this, especially going from a hard maple to a softer wood. http://www.cpsc.gov/cribs.html

As far as looks go, soft maple is often significantly cheaper than hard maple and is easier to finish. I have used red oak which is not expensive but its a very different look and may not go with your design.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts