Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting a new dining table project, this one is the first of a new business venture my wife and I have started. That process is taking its sweet time and hopefully I will have all the paperwork ready when this table is finished.

Initially I was looking for walnut slabs, but I happened upon these at a price I couldn't pass up.

$100 a piece. 7'7" long, around 50" wide at the widest point and over 3" thick

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another view. I'm aiming on a finished thickness of around 2.5" and a length of 6'6" that will allow a small portion of the two checks to be included in the table. I like how it's bookmatched as well. These pics are after I made a very rough "jointing" cut and belt sanded most of the saw marks out. There is a slight twist in both slabs, and lots of high and low spots, hopefully I can hand plane these out and scrub plane to final thickness. Wish me luck fellas! (Thinking of investing in a power hand planer.)

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd also like to point out that on the same day I made the rough joint cuts, and sanded the tops of the slabs, I made a crosscut sled, and repair welded a cast iron bell housing from the 40's. Productive day, I had to brag about it. :shifty:

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice choice on the slab. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

One of the reasons for joining the forum is because I too would like to turn my love for woodworking into a business. Best of luck in your new venture. Maybe you would let me pick your brain about it someday?

Work safe

Tom

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice choice on the slab. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

One of the reasons for joining the forum is because I too would like to turn my love for woodworking into a business. Best of luck in your new venture. Maybe you would let me pick your brain about it someday?

Work safe

Tom
Absolutely, but compared to some of the members here there isn't much to pick. I'm starting very small, with minimal investment and part time, while still working a full time job. This way if things are slow, or if business never comes, I'm still able to support my family.

Stay safe as well!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nice looking slab. I'm looking forward to another beautiful build from you. I hope the business goes well for you.

S/F
Hays

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Beautiful slabs!! That's gonna make one sweet table top. I'd highly suggest purchasing a power planer, saved me so much time and back pain flattening the slab I've been working on. I've already got my 100 bucks worth out of it.

Brian

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is going to be an awesome project. Slabs look good. Please post as many pics and details as you can. I enjoy learning the various steps and processes for something like this.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Power planer it is! I used a #4 that's more of a scrub plane for an hour, then needed to Sharpen the blade. I realized I hadn't really gotten that far. 1/2" is a lot of material to remove...

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
If this is anything like your last one then I'm in.
Nice slabs!!!! Can't wait for more.
Why not a router sled to flatten it out?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
With that much material to be removed, I would look for a mill in the area, and pay them to run the pieces thru such.

Sure would make it more likely to be true and flat, IMO. Not that you can't do it.

Nice pieces, I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Smith Brother said:
With that much material to be removed, I would look for a mill in the area, and pay them to run the pieces thru such.

Sure would make it more likely to be true and flat, IMO. Not that you can't do it.

Nice pieces, I wish you well,

Dale in Indy
Unless you know of a mill that has a 30 inch jointer at their disposal, it's not going to help. You have to have one side flat & true in order to then plane to thickness or it will simply translate the twist to the other face of the slab. Surfacing and flattening are two very different things, I for one would certainly not trust someone else to get my slab dead flat.

And besides, that's half the challenge to doing one of these things, right?

Just my .02 ;)

Brian

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With that much material to be removed you might want to look at a router sled like Nick Offerman had published.
I think this is a good idea for future projects. For this one the more I look at it, the more I like it. I'm going to leave it just under 3" and go slightly stouter on legs to support the extra weight.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Made a cut for length, I really wanted to include parts of the large checks, the color and grain is stunning in that area.

Circular saw couldn't quite get it, broke out the handsaw. It was actually kind of a nice feeling to handsaw some of this.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been thinking about router sleds. I don't have the space for a permnent set up at the moment. I'm thinking of using angle iron for rails and 3/4" plywood for the sled itself. I need a large straight bit for my router as well. Next live edge project will for sure be flattened with a sled. I'll be looking for some ideas in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
BZ, Been there, done that,,,,,,,, there are ways to machine a slab FLAT even if it has a TWIST.......for sure if you are taking 1/2" off. Now if the twist is more than that, well, that's another issue.

Hey, anyone that wants to do it the old fashion way, YOU have my Blessings. I personally want to accomplish more in the time I have available. That's just me... I respect others......

That's my 0.2 cents worth ,

Dale in Indy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts