Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hey Todd, and welcome. That is a beautiful piece of wood. I would try and resaw it so you can more than one piece.

What town are you from in Tn? I live in Murfreesboro.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Don. I'm in Franklin. I actually have about 1000 b/f of this maple I had cut into lumber last Spring by Portable Sawmill Services. They are in Woodbury over in your neck of the woods if I'm not mistaken. I'd like to sell some of it and keep some of it. I'm just not sure what kind of maple to advertise that it is. Also trying to figure out how to price it.

Attachments

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,496 Posts
Traditionally, Maple is divided into two categories, hard and soft maple. They look very much alike visually. The difference is density, or weight. Hard maple comes from Sugar Maple trees, while soft maple comes from all the other species. They take finishes almost identically, so most furniture makers often use them interchangeably. My hardwood dealer charges $4.75/bd/ft for hard maple and $3.55/bd/ft for soft maple. Here's an article that should explain things for you.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.