Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a couple of hours straightening up the shop yesterday and was rewarded with this little gem...found it hiding behind a box of other cutoffs.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nice burl. The only part I would of done different would be the part where the wood meets the stopper. I think it should be a more flush fit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Awesome stopper!!!! I have been thinking about turning some stoppers. To this point, I have only turned bowls. Love the stopper!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don, thanks for the feedback. I usually turn my stoppers with the base flush to the stopper but this burl was punky and I got a big chip as I was turning the bottom end. This was the best I could do to get most of it turned out. If you look at one of the pics, you can see the remnants of the tear out.

·
OLD DUDE AT WORK
1,460 Posts
Very original!:thumbsup: Next time on punky, tear out; try a few coats of Super Glue in those areas before the final pass. Works every time. Almost.;)

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAS, thanks for the input. I've used that tip many times in the past. In fact I even put some CA in the hole to make sure it didn't strip out on the mandrel. The tear out/chip occured as I was roughing it out and was quite large...didn't suspect this would happen when I started turning it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts