Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
bowl

Great that you are making a gift for years to come. I do have a couple of questions for you regarding the bowl was it dry or wet when turned and what is the overall thickness and last lets see the bottom people will often turn the bowl in their hands and take a look at the bottom. If you didn't do it on a piece like this, put a date and event it's for an added touch that help to make the gift more special. keep up the good work

Jerry

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wood shavings said:
Great that you are making a gift for years to come. I do have a couple of questions for you regarding the bowl was it dry or wet when turned and what is the overall thickness and last lets see the bottom people will often turn the bowl in their hands and take a look at the bottom. If you didn't do it on a piece like this, put a date and event it's for an added touch that help to make the gift more special. keep up the good work

Jerry
It was dry. The wall thickness in 31/64 to be exact. I was afraid to go any thinner. :) I need to get a carver to put inscriptions on the bottom of my gifts. I didn't do anything special for the bottom, just a slight concave.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
You did a good job. I am getting brave enough to turn thin but I understand how you feel about not wanting to. Personally I like to see the information written rather than inscribed. Probably because I am a call maker and that is the tradition, a pen and hand write about the piece and sign it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
You gave that burl a great purpose so great job, as you do more bowls over time you will go thinner an your turning only gets better over time its all Practice, practice an more practice :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: tcarter76

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
written

I agree use a pen it is more personal and has more meaning to the person / persons getting it.
Good info by the way, glad that the burl was dry won't have to worry about things happening to the finish.

Jerry

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
That is a very nice pen and needs good home. if you think that it will stay in the family not find it's way into the hands of someone else by mistake then give it to them. My brother gave me a pen twenty year ago and I still have it worn looking but still in my pocession.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice job on your bowl, I am sure the couple will cherish it. I too would do the inscription in pen and sign it, as far as the pen goes they would probably have their first fight over who get it; it would be much better to send it to me to avoid that embarrassing situation...ken

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
khowald said:
Nice job on your bowl, I am sure the couple will cherish it. I too would do the inscription in pen and sign it, as far as the pen goes they would probably have their first fight over who get it; it would be much better to send it to me to avoid that embarrassing situation...ken
My wife claimed the pen. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.