Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I am new to the site and extremely stoked on browsing through so many interesting projects and topics that relate to my hobby! I am a 21 year old registered apprentice currently working at a stair shop in Calgary for the past three years, i have taken a passion for woodwork as it challenges me in both kinesthetic and visualization aspects of of learning. The shop I am at has a huge range of tooling and machinery that virtually allows me to try anything on my free time. We also gain a lot of hardwood scrap material and the owners are very cool about allowing me pursuing personal projects on weekends and nights. I have no idea how long this opportunity will last so i try my best to take advantage of this.

A few months ago i tried my first personal project, this coffee table was made strictly from wood joinery and was assembled fastener-less and only with white glue that we use for tread glue up at work. The table table top length was achieved through 5 degree beveled butt end joints staggered as i only had 32" or less 8/4 maple stock to work with. The table is 48" L X 22" W X 18" H. Side rail diamond pattern was probably the most challenging portion of the table as it involved a band saw jig @ 60 degrees with almost no tolerance to be out. The rails are dove tailed into the legs and the legs are a blind mortise and tenon joint into the table top. the chessboard was made separately and then inlayed into the table with a slightly wider removable glass inset over the chess board. I also had my first experience with applying finish and i must say that tung oil was a very forgiving finish for a newbie and also came out looking beautiful. I applied about 4-5 coats over two days before taking it home on the third day.

I think I covered the premise of how I built the table, I would love to hear any feed back or questions you guys may have. overall this was a fun project and experience, i learned a lot about joinery in the process and now am inspired to try more projects!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Anthony, I am most impressed! At 51 I'm just picking up wood working and have a LONG way to go before I can do something as amazing as that table and chess set. Seriously, that is amazing especially tackling the different kinds of joins for it. Keep up the great work sir.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.