Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here so go easy on me :geek:. I am refurbishing manzanita root tables by removing dirt, dried and sun bleached wood down to the red & brown it is known for. I am using wire cups and gently sand blasting with fine glass media. Here’s my question…what is the best way to seal and apply a gloss finish? Manzanita is a very rough surface with lots of burls, pits and crags. Product and application recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,556 Posts
welcome to the forum !!
I am fond of the Manzanita products - hopefully you can post some photos of your projects.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the first of three pieces. Two end tables and a large coffee table. I am working on getting the gloss coat and need advice on what type of finish to use.

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
4,556 Posts
awesome piece of wood !! thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
As you can see, there's not a lot of suggestions on what finish to use. I can't help you, either. I couldn't even begin to recommend anything. Considering you have to get it into all the nooks and crannies, some type of sprayed on finish would be a must. I use spray polyurethane for most of my projects, but it takes many coats to get a deep, glossy finish. Spraying that piece in your pictures would be a nightmare for me.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As you can see, there's not a lot of suggestions on what finish to use. I can't help you, either. I couldn't even begin to recommend anything. Considering you have to get it into all the nooks and crannies, some type of sprayed on finish would be a must. I use spray polyurethane for most of my projects, but it takes many coats to get a deep, glossy finish. Spraying that piece in your pictures would be a nightmare for me.

Good luck and welcome to the site.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve considered spraying. Does anyone have a favorite product for something like this? I don’t want it glossy, just clear and bright.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve considered spraying. Does anyone have a favorite product for something like this? I don’t want it glossy, just clear and bright.
Here are pics of the side tables I’ve taken down to bare wood and the huge coffee table I am about to start taking down. You can see the existing finish on the coffee table. I’ve done most of this with wire cups. Tried sand blasting which was a disaster without the proper, enclosed blasting cabinet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are pics of the side tables I’ve taken down to bare wood and the huge coffee table I am about to start taking down. You can see the existing finish on the coffee table. I’ve done most of this with wire cups. Tried sand blasting which was a disaster without the proper, enclosed blasting cabinet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts