Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Generic Weeb
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay okay I know what you're gonna say, I swear to god I didn't buy it because it was Japanese. Honest! It was cheap, weird and I did not think I was going to be the only bidding on that auction...

So I now find myself in possession of a Type Ninety Nine Arisaka. Unfortunately it's been "Sporterized" so a chunk of the stock has been cut off and it's been sanded down and stained. I was thinking about making a new stock for it to match the original ones. I've never made a rifle stock before but I do know it would be a lot of carving, sanding and hoping I can actually route out a magazine well that'll be deep enough. I can pick up an original one that'll fit but that'll cost more than I paid for the actual rifle and it'll be hard bidding as they're kinda rare these days.

Figured I ask around if anybody here has had experience making rifle stocks before. (Not my picture but in case anybody doesn't know what I'm talking about)
-T
arisakaa.jpg

·
Registered
825 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the replies to this thread. I have a Baystate single shot 12 gauge shotgun that the stock is wasted. The barrel is over 30” long and the whole thing is rusty and crusty and likely useless to actually hunt with but it could be a good wall hanger.

·
Generic Weeb
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright well I'm going to go pick up a piece of (Probably) walnut and start carving away at it when I get the chance. Apparently they originally were either asian walnut, beech or something called "katsura" which I've never heard of. I have to disassemble the entire rifle and clean it then learn how to put it back together before I start on this though.

-T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts