Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and I'm a novice woodworker and I wanted to see if anyone has any advice on making reducer molding.

I have replaced some thick carpet with laminate and now I have a significant height difference (around 15/32") between the laminate and an adjacent tile floor. I had this same issue in another area that meets the tile, but in that case it was a doorway and I found a reducer molding at Lowes that fit perfectly.

Here the area where the two floors meet is almost 12 feet long. The reducer I bought before would be too tall for this spot, plus it only comes in like 5 foot lengths and I really don't want to join three pieces. I haven't been able to find anything else that fits quite right, and almost nothing in the length I would need to do this with one piece, which is what I would prefer.

So, I'm wondering if it would be feasible to make my own reducer molding. I did find a thread here on making one type of reducer (http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/quick-little-saturday-project-53036/) but I was hoping to make something with a rounded edge because I like the way it looks better, and it would match what I already have, which is similar to the picture below.

Could this be made with a shaper and the right cutter? If so does anyone have any specific suggestions? My searches haven't turned up any cutters that look right for this but maybe that's because I don't know exactly what I'm looking for or what to call it. Or are there other tools or methods that would be better for making this?

Thank you.
-K

·
7,222 Posts
I am not sure about shaper cutters, since I do not have a shaper.

This router bit is closer to what you show in the picture.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/175-0735/ea_-_edge_forming

If you cannot find the curved profile you desire you may need to use the BZawat method in the link and then hand sand or use a spokeshave to get the desired profile.

12ft long is a quite a bit of work. Good luck.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
I would run to a box store and find one there. Faster and they don't cost that much.
If no luck then run to a flooring store.

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
If it were me I would just take a piece of flooring and trim some of the radius off with a table saw on about a 10 degree angle and shape the rest of it with a belt sander and orbital sander. I made a treated wood threshold for a 16' garage door much the same way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure about shaper cutters, since I do not have a shaper.

This router bit is closer to what you show in the picture.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/175-0735/ea_-_edge_forming

If you cannot find the curved profile you desire you may need to use the BZawat method in the link and then hand sand or use a spokeshave to get the desired profile.

12ft long is a quite a bit of work. Good luck.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions and the link. That bit is certainly getting close to what I would like to make, and my friend has a router I can borrow so that may be a good option. I'm going to keep looking to see if I can find a bit with more of an arc across the whole length.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would run to a box store and find one there. Faster and they don't cost that much.
If no luck then run to a flooring store.
Been there. The box stores don't have anything in the length or dimensions I need. The flooring stores had pretty much the same stuff as the box stores. They told me their installers just "adapt" the moldings they aren't the right size. Sounds like slap something down and call it a day, which isn't my style.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it were me I would just take a piece of flooring and trim some of the radius off with a table saw on about a 10 degree angle and shape the rest of it with a belt sander and orbital sander. I made a treated wood threshold for a 16' garage door much the same way.
Something like that will be plan C if nothing else pans out. I worry about getting a consistent edge across a 12 foot piece though. This is for of a prominent, high-traffic area so I want it to look good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just following up on this...

I spent a long time looking at router bits trying to find something close to the profile I wanted but I came up empty handed. To cut my own molding, it seemed my best bet would be to have a router bit or shaper knife custom made for the profile I was looking for. While that would get me the desired piece with the least work, it would also be the most expensive option.

Instead I went back to the local stores and checked all the moldings they carry again. I got lucky and found 12 foot unfinished base molding in oak at Home Depot that had almost exactly the profile I was looking for and was very inexpensive compared to anything else I had looked at.

I used a table saw to cut the rounded bottom off the molding, then I ran it through on end to trim the back side and make it the right height to meet my tile. Then it just needed a little stain and a few coats of polyurethane and it was ready to install.

I'm happy with the result and I'm really glad I was able to do it with a single piece of wood. Big thanks to Alchymist for pointing me toward the base molding option!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts