Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you tell me the height and weight of this Queen Ann pierce?

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
If that's a full-size highboy, they tend to be rather tall, in the 80-90" area. I'd guess one would weigh around 150 lbs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to see what is in the top draws myself so I figured 72" by measureing the highth of the picture in 16ths and come up with 131/16ths and divided it by 72" and it gives me 1.8/16ths to the inch. Then I can measure to any point with that and find the distance in inchs.

Also measure the pulls, the holes are 3" apart most of the time. If you wanted it taller, you can do the same thing. With this system all you need is one measurement.

I hope this will help all the ones looking for Plans.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
What's a 1.8/16? Does that work out to about 1/7"?

I don't think I understand entirely, could you explain a little more? I think one thing that's tripping me up is that you said you'd want it to be about 72" tall. I don't understand why you need to convert the picture if you've decided that it needs to be 72" tall.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
What's a 1.8/16? Does that work out to about 1/7"?

I don't think I understand entirely, could you explain a little more? I think one thing that's tripping me up is that you said you'd want it to be about 72" tall. I don't understand why you need to convert the picture if you've decided that it needs to be 72" tall.

I'll take a stab at explaining the principle. The height in the picture is not determinable, as there is no point of reference. So, you figure out how high you want it. Then what becomes the reference point is the sizes of each horizontal line break in whatever you pick. He picked 16ths. The height of those in 16ths are relevant to each other for the ratio for the height.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PK
The picture is 131/16" tall when I measured it and 61/16" wide. You have to have one measurement to figure all sizes. I picked 72" for the hight. So the picture was 131-16ths tall, so take 131 and divide it by 72 (this gives you your divider), comes to 1.8 (for a 72" high boy). Now you can use 1.8 to covert any measurement to inches. Like how wide will it be.The picture measures 61/16" so take 61 and divide it by 1.8=33.8" or 33-13/16",so your high boy is 33-13/16" wide. Now the pull, it measures (5-1/2 ) 16ths, divied by 1.8 = 3". Your holes for mounting the pulls are 3 inches apart.

Now if you wanted your high boy to be 80" high, you would take the 131 and divide it by 80, witch your divider would be 1.6. And your width would be 61 divided by 1.6 = 38.125 or 38- 1/8" wide. You do the same to the draws, measure how many 16ths there are in there hight and wideth and divide it by your divider,it will give you your measurement in inches.

So I guess the 1.8 or the 1.6 would be called your divider. It keeps everything in perspective.

I hope this is a little clearer. If it's not let me know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Cabinetman, I needed some help, but you have it down. Thanks a lot.
Joe

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you want to build a Highboy, you may be starting out the hardest way possible.
The proportions for these are what makes the difference in a Highboy and a boy doing woodwork.

Go look at a prime example and measure it, or get plans for one, or find out the proportions and draw it your self (not the best).

Why?
Highboys are advanced work and hacking at the sizes can not only be a work of something almost like "what you wanted" it can also be a waste of time and perfectly good trees.
I'd take the time to get good measurements from a prime example of one.
jim

·
Registered
113 Posts
Okay, I understand your measuring process now.

I think I'm with the comment above myself. If I want to build something, I decide the dimensions myself and decide upon the proportions myself.

I see where it would be useful to have a method of transferring a picture to some sort of relative measurements if you want to duplicate a piece that you don't have access to and no easily available measurements.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you want to build a Highboy, you may be starting out the hardest way possible.
The proportions for these are what makes the difference in a Highboy and a boy doing woodwork.

Go look at a prime example and measure it, or get plans for one, or find out the proportions and draw it your self (not the best).

Why?
Highboys are advanced work and hacking at the sizes can not only be a work of something almost like "what you wanted" it can also be a waste of time and perfectly good trees.
jim
...seconded.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts

Why?
jim
Gosh, I guess you are strictly a "plans man", don't believe in artistic license. What about the guy who "invented" the highboy he was not working off a plan, or the people who improved it they threw away the previous plan ? What about the differences between French/English highboys ? The Japanese had their own version which is just an beautiful and functional (more in my opinion). Are they a waste of wood ?

I am not picking on you. Just saying there is more than one way to skin a cat AF1 showed his.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I don't know, but I am guessing AF1 is not a hack. I have seen some (I have a mirror :laughing:). Maybe math is his thing, doesn't have a tool he knows how to use ? I think the proof is in the pudding, got any project pictures AF1?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just sayin"....
I work off my own plans that were drafted around STRICT guide lines for guitars. Frets,bridge placement,ect....

A non-traditional hi-boy would look funny, no??? What do I know....I'm just a luthier.:laughing:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I work off my own plans that were drafted around STRICT guide lines for guitars. Frets,bridge placement,ect....

A non-traditional hi-boy would look funny, no???
A non-traditional hi-boy no, maybe even "unique" and $$$ (IMO) A guitar that sounds like a cat with his tail stuck in a screen door :thumbdown:. I understand your bias, that is why I have never built an instrument...to constraining. Kinda like building chairs, I don't like that. It is a simple matter if it "works" or not, not how pretty they are. They can be great looking...but if they hurt your butt, you failed. I would build a guitar that hurt your ears.
A hi-boy just has to hold some stuff and please the buyers eyes.

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts
Print it out and play with the printer setting on inlarge until up get a know/assumed measurement where you want it. Have done this with old maps to make the scales work with modern numbers. Should work here too:thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I'm going to have a big bond fire at my place tonight, all my furniture in my house was bilt this way, just thought I could help someone. It won't happen again. Joe

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I guess I'm going to have a big bond fire at my place tonight
Might as well :laughing:. I have a story about a woodworker I know. I have told this story before, don't remember if it was here.

This woodworker is my Dad. He is retired now (pipefitter/welder). Several years ago we went to a street festival in Indiana as a family, Mom/Dad and my wife/I. It was in the middle of town. On the main drag there were some antique shops and other places of interest. We are walking in and out going our separate ways. I pop into one shop and my Dad is eyeballing this tall sideboard-buffet thing. I could tell he was really into it. I walked over and said "What's up?" He replied "I am studying this thing, I like it, when I get laid off I am going to make one" and took a picture of it. We left the store.

So anyway work was good for a couple years, he was working steady and never got laid off from his construction job. It can be kinda seasonal around here, a guy may only have 10-11 months work a year in that trade.

Fast forward 2 years (or more). Work dried up one winter and he got laid off till spring.

I dropped by for a visit one day and he was in the wood shop. I had not been over for awhile, I thought I would see what he was up to. He says "Remember that thing in that antique store in Indiana"...I sorta did, just because of the interest he took in it and the fact that was a fun day over there. We don't take many family trips now that I am married.

Well here is the end to this long story. There it sat. An exact replica of the piece he saw 2+ years earlier. From memory and one picture, which was now taped to the wall above the workbench. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
That was a great story, Daren.

I just built a chair from four photographs. This woman has a favorite chair in Berlin. She goes there every year for 4 months so she leaves it there. It's the only chair in the world that she can sit in comfortably for more than 20 minutes because she broke her pelvis last year. So from a couple of her measurements in centimeters and 4 photos, I built it. The side view is 8.5 inches to the inch, and I got so used to referring to it, it became second nature. It was great fun. Now it's getting uphlostered and I can't wait to see how much it looks like the photos.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts