Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a solid black walnut dining table for my wife when we got married and for the most part we love it. The only drawback is how hard it is to move.
I move a lot as part of my job and it is difficult to move because I have to cut it in half by taking the table slides off each time I have to go through any doorway (the table is 48"x 48" with the slides on).
When I built it I didn't think I would have problems because I thought I could get the table to wrap around the doorway and through the opening. It's almost impossible.
Is there any way to detach the legs and reattach them with the support system that you see in factory made tables without destroying the legs? The table legs have been glued on three sides to the underside of the tabletop with both wood glue and construction adhesive. So its a tight joint.
Or, would it be more practical or even possible to find a better table slide (the one I used was from an ancient table that just happened to be the right size)? One that would actually detach from itself like a cabinet drawer slide does so that I wouldn't have to screw and unscrew the screws into the underside of the tabletop each and every time I need to move it. I don't really want to strip out the underside of the table.
What would you do?
See the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
You could cut the legs off short enough that you could screw a board onto the top of the legs from one to another making two sets of two legs. Then screw the board to the top. Just don't put too many screws into the top as it will restrict wood movement and may cause the top of the table to split.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts