Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never done anything like an inlay before so I've been looking into it. The pattern I want is not something where I can go out and buy a template, so I need to make my own.

So while I get the basic gist of cutting an inlay, how does one go about making a template that needs to be a certain size? Do you need to cut the template opening larger than you actually want the inlay to be, by the thickness of the bushing on your inlay jig? Or by the thickness of the bushing plus bit? Or maybe just the brass collar? I assume if you cut your template to actual size the finished product would actually be smaller than what you want. Am I right or am I looking at this all wrong?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I suggest you buy an inlay set. This is a bushing that has a 1/4" collar that fits the bushing barrel exactly. Then using a 1/4" bit, you cut the inlay using the template without the collar, then cut the opening for the inlay using the collar on the bushing. The inlay then fits right in there. You can do this with a standard set of bushings and all the math, but the set makes things a little easier. To cut the pattern for your inlay, you make the opening 1/4" larger than the finished inlay size. Here's a little more thorough explanation. Moat of the bit vendors sell the set, so cheaper ones are available.

Edit: it's been a while since I used my set, so I had a look at it. The one I have uses a 1/8" bit, and the collar that fits the bushing cuts 1/8" larger, so I got my dimensions all confused above...sorry about that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...it's really hard to grasp what I'm supposed to be doing so I think I need to just make some sawdust and figure it out as I go. Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts