Woodworking Talk banner

Making money from joinery.

8K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Lola Ranch 
#1 ·
Years ago I had my own shop making windows and doors. Then I moved on to do other things, security, mail worker etc. but now I'd like to get back into making stuff.

The windows and doors were okay but not very profitable it was always a kinda struggle to get everyone's wages.

I would like ideas tips on what to make for customers that can be profitable with a small shop with 3 guys working in it?

#2 ·
I once ran a profitable cabinet shop. I would suggest that if there are woodworkers out there who have discovered a profitable niche that they are too busy with that to visit any woodworking forums.

Not every man can make a good idea profitable. What works great for one person may be another's undoing.

One area that I think there might be some good profit is "Rustic furniture made with reclaimed lumber". It has worked for me.

Bret

#11 ·
I would suggest that if there are woodworkers out there who have discovered a profitable niche that they are too busy with that to visit any woodworking forums.
A profitable niche might be without the stress and physical demands of shop work, but rather consulting and mentoring with online clients and local shops.

#5 ·
Well I was thinking about making replacement sash windows. I don't need a lot of machinery and its a fast turnaround. The majority of new windows around here are vinyl.

I was once told to make custom made shaker style kitchens.

I really wanted something small just to get back into things. I have a small shop thats about a garage size, so it can't be too big.

In the future I'd like a big shop like I used to have preferably some where near Home Depot or Lowes.

#6 ·
In the future I'd like a big shop like I used to have preferably some where near Home Depot or Lowes.
If you are buying your material from HD/Lowes, it will be very difficult to make a profit. I would suggest you find a better source. :smile:

#10 ·
you need a resume

Either actual or digital OR both.
An actual resume would be a photographic record of your work with testimonials, references, a description of your shop, your employees, and would be in a binder that can be viewed easily in an interview.
A booklet/catalog and a business card would also be necessary to drop off.

A digital resume is your website and includes all the above items mentioned. Join Facebook and make friends who have friends who have friends etc.

Network with old contacts, references and anyone who may be in a position to recommend your shop to others. Get acquainted with architects, interior designers, builders and galleries. One off pieces will sell to a specialized clientle. Architectural restoration services need repairs and installations.

A lumber mill will have contacts in the trades and industry. You're not starting out, just starting over. good luck. :yes:

Reactions: surfing813
#14 ·
I'm sure we've all heard that quote before. I do not use it any longer because I thinks it's unfair to teachers.

Teaching is a talent in itself. Many are much better at it than me. It's also another way to make money. I think people are willing to pay you more than something is worth to teach them to make it rather than just hire you to make it. Although I've never tried it.

Bret

#24 ·
it's possible

http://www.ehow.com/how_5152064_make-money-youtube.html

But that was not the intent of my post. The intent was to show how folks can learn from it, even those with years of experience like myself. It's a teaching aid and instead of posting photos or text and digging through my photo software, I use it to explain things more easily. If a picture is worth a 1000 words, a video is worth 100 times that. If there is an issue with posting You Tube or other links then what are we doing here anyway, just talking to ourselves, rather than sharing knowledge and giving advice? :blink:

#25 ·
Cabinetman to answer a couple questions:

"From your above comment, you make a distinction between those that can do and those that "cant". The innuendo is that those that teach can't do."

Nice try, but don't put words in my mouth, I did not say those that teach can't do, I actually stated that there are many dedicated teachers. What I said was that those that can't do teach, totally different, only you put a spin on it to make a point.

"If I missed seeing your work, I apologize. If you can clear this all up, I would, and am sure others would like to see what you have done. We all like pictures."

I left the trade 30 years ago, a lot has passed under the bridge since, including a failed marriage which resulted in a lot of personal property going missing, details not important, this included several photo albums. I was advised to limit working in dusty conditions for health reasons so I moved on to other things.

Whether this clears thing up for you or not doesn't really concern me, I don't have the time or inclination to give you the pleasure of getting into a pi$$ing match over it.

#27 ·
"From your above comment, you make a distinction between those that can do and those that "cant". The innuendo is that those that teach can't do."

Nice try, but don't put words in my mouth, I did not say those that teach can't do, I actually stated that there are many dedicated teachers. What I said was that those that can't do teach, totally different, only you put a spin on it to make a point.
I'm not interested in the rest of the argument, but I, too, want to take issue with your quote.

The point of the quote has always been, as far as I can tell, that if you're capable of doing something, you'll do it. If you're not capable of doing anything, you'll become a teacher. So whether you meant it or not, the quote you used says that only people who aren't capable of doing anything teach.

Given that I know a lot of teachers who are incredibly qualified in their fields (scientists, mathematicians, doctors, lawyers... I could go on), I find the quote to be like most generalizations: wrong.

Yes, you came back later to qualify, but only after people started objecting.

And, to back up my statement:

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
Prov.
People who are able to do something well can do that thing for a living, while people who are not able to do anything that well make a living by teaching. (Used to disparage teachers. From George Bernard Shaw's Man and Superman.) Bob: I'm so discouraged. My writing teacher told me my novel is hopeless. Jane: Don't listen to her, Bob. Remember: those who can, do; those who can't, teach.
See also: teach, those, who
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

#26 ·
I retired after 31 years as a biology/dendrology professor. I was very good at it. Wood carviong is my focus now and I intend to become very good at it.

That expression is a jealous fleck of snot from those who find that they can do neither work nor teach. Fill your boots.

In the meantime, I do know that for sales the 3 most important things are marketing, marketing and finally, marketing. If you can talk the talk, can you walk the walk? What's your work look like? For me, perhaps the most important attributes are your versatility, innovation and craftsmanship.

The shapes and sizes of my Kitchen Sticks are the ones that people really want to buy. I made a bunch, passed them around (charity cooks, professional chefs & caterers, etc). I could make what I want to make, they want something very specific. Their needs turned out to be just about the easiest & fastest to produce! At the same time, they've turned into a chore and a bore. 60+ done, 30 on the bench. When I finish 100 for sale, I quit. We shall see what the pre-Christmas trade looks like.

#29 · (Edited)
Back when in Art School

The really good/excellent/outstanding students in the fields of Industrial Design, Graphic Design, and Photography were not talking about teaching, rather just interested in getting a job in the profession of choice.

The Art Education students who were taking Basic Design and other elementary classes DID want to become teachers. They were teachers first and then "artists" second. Occasionally, we heard in the hallways the now infamous quote " those who can't become teachers" or words to that effect. Probably in some cases that's true either out of incompetence in the field, other circumstances like having a steady income and benefits from a University, or just wanting to give back and share knowledge gained in the field.
Oh and by the way, I was a graduate teaching assistant for 2 years and Instructor for 1 year before I went into industry as a professional Industrial Designer. I wore a whole bunch of hats in that endeavor as well, Research Assistant in Human Factors, Product Designer, Automotive Designer, and Creative Sculptor.

The BEST teachers enjoy the process of enlightening minds and sharing their knowledge and challenging their students to think outside the box. I had some of the BEST in the World., even world famous ones. Richard Hunt who makes welded sculpture out of Chicago, for one.

Oh and by the way, I have never owned, run or managed a for profit company of my own. Woodworking has always been a passion, a hobby and a necessity as a home owner. I probably don't have the business mind it takes to be profitable AND I like my projects so much after the time and money invested it's difficult to part with them. :laughing: That's just my point of view.

#30 ·
Oh and by the way, I was a graduate teaching assistant for 2 years and Instructor for 1 year before I went into industry as a professional Industrial Designer. I wore a whole bunch of hats in that endeavor as well, Research Assistant in Human Factors, Product Designer, Automotive Designer, and Creative Sculptor.
You forgot about the architecture background.:yes:

#32 ·
woodnthings said:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5152064_make-money-youtube.html But that was not the intent of my post. The intent was to show how folks can learn from it, even those with years of experience like myself. It's a teaching aid and instead of posting photos or text and digging through my photo software, I use it to explain things more easily. If a picture is worth a 1000 words, a video is worth 100 times that. If there is an issue with posting You Tube or other links then what are we doing here anyway, just talking to ourselves, rather than sharing knowledge and giving advice? :blink:
Thanks Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.