Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen the age old string and three nails way to draw out arches, I also know you can make a circle jig with a router. However, I was wondering if arches/ scroll patterns etc... can be drawn on an illustrator type program (sketchup, photoshop), saved in a certain format, and brought to a copy store to be printed out in a larger scale? That paper would then be used as the template to draw onto the work piece.

The idea here is to draw a symmetrical pattern of some sort and transfer it to the wood.

·
Registered
618 Posts
You can do this by drawing it in a vector format. Programs like Adobe Illustrator. Any specialty printing store should be able to plot it any size you want.

Vector formats don't lose resolution as you scale it like normal images do.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I used to work for a sign company. We would simply draft the pattern we wanted, as accurately and crisp as possible. Then with a little math tell the print shop what percentage to enlarge. I would draw a reference scale on the drawing so I could quickly measure that on the enlarged print to make sure it was perfect. If they didn't get it right the first time they usually were happy to keep trying until they did.

The starting size didn't matter, but of course the larger we could draw it the better it would look once enlarged. You certainly can use a PC and some vector based drafting program to create the image. You don't need a PC though, if you can draw the image you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts