Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of refacing my kitchen cabinets. The least expensive doors I've found is about $1,000. I currently have simple slab doors.

Got to thinking, could I remake the doors from hardwood veneer plywood? That would only cost about $140 in materials. Plan to put veneer tape on the cut sides, then paint the doors.

Being a woodworking newbie, I have a few questions:

1. Is making doors this way a reasonable idea?
  2. Should I use 3/4" thickness plywood or is 1/2" OK? (My biggest door is 42"x19")
  3. Can I use a router to engrave a pattern on the doors?
  4. Has anyone does this and have suggestions or make me aware of other considerations?
Thanks in advance.
Hank

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Plywood doors for kitchen cabinets is very common.
As for as the thickness of the plywood goes, you first need to choose a door style. A solid one piece panel or a frame and panel construction. The thickness for the one piece will be 3/4” but the panel for frame and panel can be only 1/4”.
MDF is now commonly used for paint grade cabinet doors and drawers. The MDF does not have plys like the Plywood and the edges can be routed.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
$1000 is a lot for unfinished slab doors, how many doors are you talking about?

The doors should be 3/4" thick especially if you plan on using European hinges. The cup hole is 1/2" deep. Anyway 1/2" thick doors would be prone to warp.

If you plan on engraving a design in the doors you would either need to use a type of plywood known as lumber core plywood or MDF. MDF doesn't do well in a kitchen because it is literally a sheet of paper and if any water gets past the finish it will swell up and ruin the door. MDF is also very heavy and on larger doors such as the 19"x42" it would require three hinges.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Another option is rail and stile doors. The rails and stiles would be made out of solid wood and have a 1/4" plywood panel. You would need a router, router table, rail and stile router bits. If you wanted to get fancier you could create raised panels. A little more work than the slab doors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts