Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in such a hurry to build a cabinet with some leftover scrap plywood that I didn’t really think it out on how the doors were going to fit the ¾” plywood. Instead of planning for a wide front frame I just used ¾” strip to cover the plywood edge.

So now I’m planning the doors and I’m not sure if it’s going to work. my problem is really with the center where 2 doors com together. i was studying my kitchen cabinets and there is a wide piece between the doors.

Has anybody made doors for a straight plywood box?

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
I guess I am puzzled by your question. It seems to me that you are asking if anyone has made doors for a cabinet that does not have a face frame? Am I correct? Further, are you asking about inset doors, overlay doors, or what?

George

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I am puzzled by your question. It seems to me that you are asking if anyone has made doors for a cabinet that does not have a face frame? Am I correct? Further, are you asking about inset doors, overlay doors, or what?

George
I don’t know what kind of doors at the moment, but I was going to rabbit 3/8” all the way around a ¾” thick door frame, but then I realized that I had a problem with the center.
I was just thinking about a solution and might have to glue a 3/8” strip on each side of the center piece to make it 1 ½” wide.

·
where's my table saw?
28,745 Posts
probably inset doors

like these:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
like these:
Yes that's what I was thinking except that I only have a 3/4" frame all the way around. If I make the center between the two doors wide then I could have at least 3/8" showing around the doors. I think anyway.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the actual picture of what I got so far.

Sorry about the photo. quality. I have it up on sawhorses and can't reach

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think i would build a face frame for the whole thing.
I don’t have room for that. The surround sound equipment in the compartment above takes up the entire space with maybe 1/8” clearance around it. I can’t go wider because I have speakers on each side that also take up all the space.

I think I got it figured out. :yes: I’m either going to glue a ¼” strip on each side of the ¾” plywood or maybe cut a 1 ¼” piece of oak and cut a ¾” dado in the center to slip over the ¾”ply.

It was just poor planning on my part because I wanted the cabinet to fit as far back in the corner as I could so I crammed everything as tight as I could

1 - 10 of 10 Posts