Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Termite
8,230 Posts
I've got a teeny tiny little shop and am in the early days of kitting it out. We've got a table saw, a mitre saw, an orbital sander, and some hand tools. I don't know that we're ever going to have room for a joiner, and while I'd love a benchtop planer we don't have that at the moment either.

I'm doing a bunch of glue-ups of fancy patterned hardwood, but need to get them perfectly flat — how would you smooth out your stock if you didn't have a joiner or planer? (Honestly the idea of using a hand plane on them makes me feel a little ill, but I'm open to learning how to do that if that's the best/only way! 😅)
If you don't have a planer I would look into a belt sander. A bit tricky, but worth learning...

·
Registered
Termite
8,230 Posts
Why does using a hand plane make you ill? I find using hand tools a lot more enjoyable, and quieter, and less dusty than power tools, just that time doesn't allow it.

You can get the edge prepared on a router table for glue-up.
To get a surface flat on a board you can also use a router with a sled, there are many examples on youtube. But since you didn't mention a router I guess you don't have one I would recommend a #4 or #4.5 jack plane to do a rough flattening and then something bigger like #6 for final work. Maybe you can doo all with #5 or #5.5.

Hope this helps.
Using a Hand plane makes me ill too...

·
Registered
Termite
8,230 Posts
When I started in a commecial shop I 83 I was asked to glue up a landing for stairs. I had the wood , glue and clamps. I clamped the landing together and watched it fly. That's when I learned to alternate clamps.

We all make mistakes. Nobody is ammune

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.