Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a teeny tiny little shop and am in the early days of kitting it out. We've got a table saw, a mitre saw, an orbital sander, and some hand tools. I don't know that we're ever going to have room for a jointer, and while I'd love a benchtop planer we don't have that at the moment either.

I'm doing a bunch of glue-ups of fancy patterned hardwood, but need to get them perfectly flat — how would you smooth out your stock if you didn't have a jointer or planer? (Honestly the idea of using a hand plane on them makes me feel a little ill, but I'm open to learning how to do that if that's the best/only way! 😅)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why does using a hand plane make you ill?
I'm new to hand-planing, and all the bitty little corners sticking up from my glue-up just seem like they're begging to grab a plane and cause gouges. It sounds like I should face my fears and give it a go, though! You're right that we don't have a router (yet — we're getting a plunge router as our next purchase!), so a jack plane does seem like the way to go. Thank you so much for the advice!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up taking it to a friend's place; he's an experienced woodworker with a jointer and planer. On the first pass through the planer (which he set! it wasn't my newbie fault!), it exploded. 😅😂

So! It's a learning process. Next time I'll just sand it; he used his belt sander on the biggest piece that was left, and it worked a treat. It'd be more of a pain with just the orbital sander, but I'd rather do a long and painstaking job than end up with shrapnel again 😅

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.