Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A picture is worth a thousand words. It will take 2 posts.
. DSCN0519.jpg
DSCN0522.jpg
DSCN0523.jpg
DSCN0526.jpg

DSCN0529.jpg

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Nicely done. I hope that limb was fairly dry or you're likely to end up with a split handle. Looks good though. I need to make some long handles for all my turning tools.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nicely done. I hope that limb was fairly dry or you're likely to end up with a split handle. Looks good though. I need to make some long handles for all my turning tools.
Thanks Frank, and you're right. The limb is from an oak tree I had to fell last year. I could feel the moisture hitting me in the face as I turned the handle. Less than 24 hours after turning, the handle has split a little in the fat part. But that just gives it character. Functionality is the important part. As you can see, handles are easy to come by. I have some Purple heart, Cobalo, and Jatoba I may laminate for my next one, just for sheets and giggles.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
By hitting you in the face I hope you mean in your face shield. Only takes one little piece to ruin your day.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Great job! What was that hunk of metal originally? An old lawn mower blade? I was going to compliment you by saying "Good old Yankee ingenuity" but I see you're from NC and would probably take offense so let's just say "Good old American ingenuity" instead! :yes:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By hitting you in the face I hope you mean in your face shield. Only takes one little piece to ruin your day.
Thanks for your concern Ryan. If you will, examine the last picture closely.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great job! What was that hunk of metal originally? An old lawn mower blade? I was going to compliment you by saying "Good old Yankee ingenuity" but I see you're from NC and would probably take offense so let's just say "Good old American ingenuity" instead! :yes:
The blade is from an old edger, used for trimming grass around concrete sidewalks and such. Pretty hard. I tried to cut it first with an old metal cutting blade in the band saw, but only made it about 1" before trashing the BS Blade.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Way to go, Durdy! Isn't it a pleasure to use a tool that you've built up?
One-of-a-kind has to be satisfying.

I do glue-ups with 1/8" rosewood and mahogany for hafting crooked wood carving knives, 9 so far.
Seem to be quite satisfactory.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
durdyolman said:
. . Thanks for your concern Ryan. If you will, examine the last picture closely.
Thumbs up!!!

I used to be in the camp of half time safety glass wearers....until a piece of maple exploded on my miter saw and a 2 inch long shred stuck right into the corner of my eye....doing NO damage.....I decided it was gods way of smacking me upside the head and I now wear eye protection religiously.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Way to go, Durdy! Isn't it a pleasure to use a tool that you've built up?
One-of-a-kind has to be satisfying.

I do glue-ups with 1/8" rosewood and mahogany for hafting crooked wood carving knives, 9 so far.
Seem to be quite satisfactory.
Got any pics?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts