Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discussed a profile cut method first in this thread, and then again here, that need some further clarifications. In this procedure, it is advisable to glue and clamp one or two sections at a time depending on the radius of the curve.

The reason for this is that it is difficult to keep the pieces in alignment to the profile as they will want to slip around, and the glue helps them to do that. So, to keep order and control over that, the fewer pieces applied to the form at a time the better. It's also easier to clean off the glue as you go instead of trying to wipe off glue along the length of the glue-up along all the lines of the profile and around the clamps.

A tip for the application. If you need to make the moulding that is removable from a form, lay waxed paper on the form before you start the clamping of the sections. When it is dry (allow overnight), the glued up piece will lift off. The moulding will hold its shape when all the pieces have been laminated. Just a few may allow some movement. So, don't get ahead of yourself with excitement. If you are permanently applying the sections, you could pin nail them down with glue as you go, as long as the next layer covers the preceding one. Try to do that in the center to minimize splitting.

It is also advisable to take extreme care in the handling and clamping of the sections as not to damage or crush any of the profile. Also, keep in mind to mark each section as they are cut so you keep track of which piece is which. If you misplace a piece or get them mixed up, you'll play heck trying to figure out what goes where. DAMHIKT.

Since the final profile is made up from two profiles, there will be a difference in the grain. I've never found this to be visually objectionable.

As for other methods, like steam bending or soaking, I've experienced a "spring back" from the original form on all cases. Some were more severe than others. So, for an exact fit that will hold its shape over a long period of time and under differentials in temperature and humidity, laminations or "cut from solid stock" work the best.

There seems to be some interest in this method, so I'm posting this thread to address specifics, if any.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts