Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in an old woodworking book a design for a birds mouth, or saw tooth, shelf standards and have always wanted to build some. Now that I am constructing a built in system it is a good time to incorporate it into the design.

Starting to create the birds mouths.
image-830453523.jpg

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
received some old bookshelves from a car dealer that had those. i think the spacing was about 1 1/2" per flat. never knew what they were called. son still has 'em.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I'm aware of bird's mouth joints in roofing, where it makes good sense, but I don't get the advantage of them in shelving where you could more easily just dado out a rectangular slot to accept the shelving. Is it just that you like the look?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
its just a clever idea for shelf adjustability that can be made all from wood, probably before pin use and stronger than most. there is a cleat with angled ends that spans between the birds mouths, then the shelf rests on top of the cleats.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
its just a clever idea for shelf adjustability that can be made all from wood, probably before pin use and stronger than most. there is a cleat with angled ends that spans between the birds mouths, then the shelf rests on top of the cleats.
But there's no adjustability, so I still don't get the point. That is, it appears that the OP just slotted solid wood, not created adjustable sections.

·
Registered
244 Posts
They are adjustable. You make cleats that are loose and have the birdsmouth angle cut on the ends. You the move the cleats up and down on both sides and place the loose shelf on top of the cleats at whatever height you want. The shelf bears it's weight on the cleats and the cleats are supported by the birdsmouth.

Haven't though of using my RAS for this, that looks like a perfect application for it. Thanks for sharing, be sure and post the finished result.

·
Registered
256 Posts
These were commonly used in cabinets of frame and panel construction before pins came into common use. You could not cut dadoes in a floating panel very easily but these could be made and easily inserted even after the cabinet was completed.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
But there's no adjustability, so I still don't get the point. That is, it appears that the OP just slotted solid wood, not created adjustable sections.
Hi Phinds. what you see in the op pic is 1 of 4 pieces that will be placed vertically in each corner of the cabinet, with birds mouths facing toward each other on the side of the cabinet. a cleat wiith the same engle cut on it's ends, will span horizontally across and engage in the brids mouth of the vertical members.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hi Phinds. what you see in the op pic is 1 of 4 pieces that will be placed vertically in each corner of the cabinet, with birds mouths facing toward each other on the side of the cabinet. a cleat wiith the same engle cut on it's ends, will span horizontally across and engage in the brids mouth of the vertical members.
OK, but I'm still not getting the adjustability. Is it no true that the OP just cut slots in a solid piece? I don't see any mechanism to allow the cleats to slide up/down which would be necessary for adjustability.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
AH ... thanks. NOW I get it. They are NOT adjustable, they just provide different places to put the shelves. That is, I kept thinking that everyone was saying that the cleats would slide up and down. The link you provided makes it clear that's not what's intended. I was fooled by the large distance between the openings in the OP's post but the frequent openings in the link makes it clear.

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am just having some fun while making a set if routine cabinets plus it will create conversation when people see it. Plus I don't like shelf pins much as the holes can elongate over time creating a sloppy self rest. So in the end just creating a challenge for myself.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Those are a neat way to solve that age old solution.

I also don't like the pins for the same reasons stated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Birds mouth shelf supports

Hi guys this is my first time on this forum. I know all about this system. My company is called Sawtooth Shelf System and I sell it through Lee Valley, Woodcraft, Woodworkers, Vandykes and on my site sawtoothshelfsystem.com check it out and let me know what you think. I would really like to hear back from you guys. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
birds mouth shelf supports

I was not trying to make a sale. I have been a woodworker owning a shop for 37 years and know all about this shelf system so if any woodworkers want info I can help.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
We all know that this method is nothing new.

Having said that Big Blue has introduced some pretty slick innovations.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
AH ... thanks. NOW I get it. They are NOT adjustable, they just provide different places to put the shelves. That is, I kept thinking that everyone was saying that the cleats would slide up and down. The link you provided makes it clear that's not what's intended. I was fooled by the large distance between the openings in the OP's post but the frequent openings in the link makes it clear.
???? that looks adjustable to me....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts