Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
JimBob
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make and install three 1/2" thick (at least) bow tie keys to secure splits in a 24" diam crosscut slice of a mesquite trunk.

I can easily make the template from masonite but would like to buy a router bit and collar kit for making the mortise and the bow tie itself, because this is hard end grain, very tough to chisel, and I would like a precise fit.

Any advice? Like where to buy the bit & collars? Most kits I have seen are for thin inlay work, and the tiny bit will cut no more than 3/16" deep.

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
I know there's a lot of ways to do them, most people use templates for the, I do mine with a router as well, but i make my bowtie,butterfly, Dutchman whatever you want to call them. Cut out your bowtie whatever size you want, trace it with a sharp pencil, take utilility knife and score the outline, then router away. Takes a little longer but it works for me. The templates don't give you crisp corners. Router out the bulk then finish up corners with a sharp chisel. Practice first. Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts