Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'd like some help in planning out how to make a stack of pivoting trays. Original idea comes from the image below, which I'd like to partially recreate with only 4 trays. I'd like to push to pivot.

What's the best way to get the smoothest operation where you can open one without opening all the others?

The 4 trays will be 13/16" each in a lightweight wood (maybe alder?), about 8"x4". I'm thinking wooden dowel with melted paraben wax (rubbed off) and a single washer in between with the wood above and below waxed.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Those trays shown have a small gap between them, so there is likely a spacer at the pivot point. I would have the spacer affixed to the rod so it wouldn't transfer rotation between boxes.

Regards,
Steve

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, everyone.

New revised idea is a countersunk washer on the underside of each tray supported by a small brad nail (cut to size) through the dowel. Thus, the tray and washer will sit on top of the brad nail but both will be concealed by the countersunk hole. The brad nail will support the tray and keep it from transferring motion to the other trays.

Thank you to Improv for pointing out that the spacer needs to be fixed to the rod. I also like Eastex's idea of a weak magnet to hold them flush when closed.

Comments or concerns? Thanks, -SW

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts