Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make several 1/4" wide cuts from wood only 1/4" thick. In other words, the end result will be (hopefully) 1/4 x 1/4" finished cuts. Putting the fence 1/4" from the table saw blade seems to be too close. Making the cuts on the other side would mean re-measuring and re-setting the fence for each cut. Is there a better, easier way to do this?

·
where's my table saw?
29,622 Posts
there are 2 ways

Both work OK. The first is where you set your fence to 1/4" from the blade and using a thin push shoe run the material through the blade, holding a little inward pressure toward the fence. I've done it that way many times.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=20408&site=ROCKLER

The second is where you set a stop, blade thickness plus 1/4" to the left of the blade and bump the material and the fence up to it. This jig from Rockler will do exacty that, or you can make a simple one:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18056&site=ROCKLER
The stop must be located towards the front of the blade before the teeth enter the work.

Reactions: Travico

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I need to make several 1/4" wide cuts from wood only 1/4" thick. In other words, the end result will be (hopefully) 1/4 x 1/4" finished cuts. Putting the fence 1/4" from the table saw blade seems to be too close. Making the cuts on the other side would mean re-measuring and re-setting the fence for each cut. Is there a better, easier way to do this?
watch the u-tube video by charles neil on thin strips another way

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Cutting on the left of the blade as in the video, is basically the same as measuring over each time, but with all the jigs in place, it could be the safest method between the two. But you're still setting the fence each time.

I still find setting the fence once, and cutting the stock between the blade and the fence to be the best method for me. I set the blade with full gullets exposed, and just use a narrow push shoe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts