Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an EZ rougher and I have a square and 2" radius carbide insert. I like using the square insert for cutting tenons in my pepper mills, but swapping the cutter each time is a bit of a pain. I'd like to just get a second shaft, but it seems a little extravagant just to provide myself a bit of convenience. Has anyone ever tried to make their own from square stock?

·
Banned
139 Posts
I just recently made a whole set myself. I did the square, round and detailer... now I'm onto making the next size smaller. I got some scrap stock from a buddy and had some maple laying around for the handles so it basically cost me nothing beside buying the cutters. If you would like pics of them to help you out I could provide that.

-G

·
Registered
997 Posts
A member here, RusDemka made alot of those tools and sent then out very cheap to the members. I'm sure he'll see this and have alot of good input for you.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Quick, making the tools is the easy part, making the slot flat and be able to keep the cutter from twisting is the difficult part. If you grind a spot for the cutter to sit in, there may not be uniform support and the cutter can break, and it will.. I have made both full size and the mini sets for people on this forum, even made the diamond detailer. But to make them good, i used a bridgeport milling machine, would be better if you have access to a cnc machine..:thumbsup: good luck and show us what you came up with..

Edit: i think i have one laying around but im not sure, ill check tomorrow. If i do have one, your more than welcome to have it, just make your own handle..

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you'd be willing to make one for me, that would be awesome. I really don't have any metal working stuff or even access to any. My email address in in your PMs. Drop a note when you can.

·
Turning noob
1,817 Posts
Quickstep said:
If you'd be willing to make one for me, that would be awesome. I really don't have any metal working stuff or even access to any. My email address in in your PMs. Drop a note when you can.
Sent you an email

1 - 8 of 8 Posts